Is Life-Sized Quantum Hovercraft Racing Feasible for a Thesis Topic?

In summary: I'm not sure. It's a bit out of my area of expertise.There are some links at the bottom of the post. The author is discussing their thesis topic and they feel that they are not qualified to answer some of the questions that have been asked on the forum. They would like to know if it is possible to make a life-sized hovercraft and if it is, what the most important questions are to consider.
John_Goat
Hi to everyone, I study industrial design at faculty of mechanical engineering and It is time to start thinking about the theme of my thesis.

So I have seen this, and was terribly dissapointed, when I found out it's just CGI. We've all seen quantum levitation videos before, so this thing is certainly viable in some way.

I guess this thesis theme most likely won't get approved, but I would really like to explore the (just from physics standpoint) viability of life-sized quantum hovercraft racing. I'm not hoping for any financial or practical viability anytime soon, I just would like to find out if it is possible and then design a racing hovercraft in a functional and realistic fashion.

So I made this horrible image here with some questions attached. I have done some searching on this forum, and there are topics which are touching this, but mainly from making mass maglev cars and practicality of the thing, which really isn't my concern.

I feel like these are the most basic and crucial questions for something like this to work, which are probably really easy to answer for someone here. And if there is a possibility there, I would start to investigate further and would ask much more detailed, more intricate questions, or just ask some physics people at school. But if I am completely wrong, I guess it's better to embarass myself on the internet first.

I'm just curious, if one day, we could watch hovercrafts with loopings and stuff instead of Formula 1 on sunday.

Sorry for my non-native and not very good english and thanks for looking at this not really much thought-out thread. I hope It's atleast in the right forum category.

Attachments

• vznasedlo.jpg
    vznasedlo.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 593
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

What is "quantum" about this? It looks to just be maglev using superconductors...

I believe the effect at play here is called quantum locking. Maglev just uses magnetism but it's not quite the same.

Can you explain the quantum locking mechanism? Is it mainstream science? Can you provide some links?

I believe the actual name of the phenomenon is flux pinning.

You also have to keep the superconductor very very cold, that might get tricky with a rocket strapped on top of it.

1. What is a "Thesis Concept Evaluation"?

A thesis concept evaluation is a critical assessment of the main idea or argument proposed for a research project, typically conducted by a committee of experts in the field. It helps to determine the feasibility and relevance of the proposed thesis and provides feedback for improvement.

2. Why is a thesis concept evaluation important?

A thesis concept evaluation is important because it helps to ensure that the proposed research topic is relevant, feasible, and significant. It also allows for early identification of potential issues and provides valuable feedback for refining the thesis concept before beginning the actual research.

3. Who typically conducts a thesis concept evaluation?

A thesis concept evaluation is typically conducted by a committee of experts in the field or by a supervisor/advisor who is well-versed in the research area. The committee may include professors, researchers, or professionals with relevant expertise.

4. What are the key components of a thesis concept evaluation?

The key components of a thesis concept evaluation include the research question or problem statement, the proposed methodology, the significance of the research, and the feasibility of completing the project within the given timeframe and resources. The evaluation may also consider the originality and relevance of the proposed thesis.

5. How can one prepare for a thesis concept evaluation?

To prepare for a thesis concept evaluation, one should thoroughly research and develop the proposed thesis concept, ensuring that it is well-defined and addresses a significant research gap. It is also helpful to gather feedback from peers or mentors before the evaluation and be prepared to answer questions and defend the proposed thesis concept during the evaluation.