!Witness a Graduate Student Defending Their Thesis: Intense Experience

In summary, for the prospective graduate student, it is recommended to watch a video of a graduate student defending their thesis to get an idea of what the experience will be like. It is advised to be prepared for intense questioning during the preliminary oral exam, which tests general expertise and knowledge of the thesis topic. It is important to not make any careless mistakes or say anything that may give a bad impression to the examiners. Studying specifically for the exam is not possible, but it is important to handle being stumped in a professional manner. Failing the oral exam is a dreaded nightmare, but most likely, the student will be given a second chance to retake it. The entire process can take up to 3 hours and there have been
Nusc
For the prospective graduate student, will anyone provide a link that displays a graduate student defending his/her thesis? It must be intense.

Just want to know what it's like.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just carry a 9mm, and you should be fine.

PL

I was under the impression that violence does not solve anything.

Nusc said:
I was under the impression that violence does not solve anything.

Well, welcome to the world of graduate school

the preliminry oral is more intense than the defense, since the prelim examines general expertise, which the examiners have more of than the candidate. the defense examines the thesis which the candidate hopefully understands better than the examiners.

At my thesis defense I just presented the basic idea of the thesis and then answered a few questions. After all, this was one topic on which I knew more than they did! It is a good idea to go over your thesis in detail with your thesis advisor beforehand.
Now my preliminary oral- that was a hoot! One of the questioners asked me to write Euler's derivative formula (for complex variables), which I did, then asked "What do you think of it?"! I was tempted to answer "Oh, I think it's very nice." but realized what he really wanted was for me to discuss the various applications.

in my preliminary oral they tested my knowledge of my general area, and kept on until they found something i did not know too well. then they waited to see what i would do. so i chose an example, analyzed it and satisfied them.

here is on warning n what not to do:

after answering all their questions, one harmless seeming older gentleman asked out loud: are we restricted to asking only questions on this one topic? and I, unbelievably stupidly, said " ask me anything you want"

of course the next question was about a subject i knew zippo about. i manged to bluff, but do not think i fooled anyone.

needless to say, do not do that unless you wish to spoil the good impression of successful performance! just be glad to be out of there.

So how would you respond differentely to that question then?

Answer what I can?

Who is your audience anyway? Just the general public?

"One of the questioners asked me to write Euler's derivative formula (for complex variables)" If they are going to ask you about applications to mathematics I bet it must be intense. How do would you study for these things anyway?

Last edited:
well in my case i think the rest of the audience, which was the other professors on my committee were trying to tell the guy that such questions were not in order, and i overruled them. i.e. they were trying to say i ahd pased and to get out of there, so at any sign of a light at the end of the tunnel, take it and quit.

there is no way to study specifically for an exam designed to see what you know and what you do when you don't know something. i think my behavior when stumped, i.e. taking a simple example and anayzing it, was correct.

i just should have quit while i was ahead.

So, how often do people fail the oral exam and what happens afterward?

That would be a dreaded nightmare.

Last edited:
Nusc said:
So, how often do people fail the oral exam and what happens afterward?

That would be a dreaded nightmare.

I figured the student would be able to do the defense over again. Spending all of that time working toward a PhD and then failing the oral exam seems insane, and you'd have to be given a second chance. Afterall, most likely, the university has been paying for your graduate education and they are eager to see you graduate!

How much time does that all take? I heard that it goes on for 3 hours.

I heard of people not passing prelims...in CS though. And then that person decided to transfer to some California university. I guess they took him :confused:

1. What is the purpose of a thesis defense?

A thesis defense is a final examination that graduate students must pass in order to obtain their degree. It serves as an opportunity for students to present and defend their research, demonstrating their understanding of the topic and their ability to contribute new knowledge to their field of study.

2. How long does a thesis defense typically last?

The length of a thesis defense can vary, but it usually lasts about 1-2 hours. This includes the student's presentation, questioning from the thesis committee, and any additional discussions or clarifications.

3. Who typically attends a thesis defense?

A thesis defense is usually attended by the student's thesis committee, which is made up of their advisor and other faculty members who have expertise in the student's research area. It may also be open to other members of the academic community, such as fellow students and professors.

4. What happens during a thesis defense?

During a thesis defense, the student will give a presentation on their research, highlighting their key findings and conclusions. This is followed by a period of questioning from the thesis committee, where they may ask the student to elaborate on certain points or provide additional evidence to support their claims.

5. How should I prepare for a thesis defense?

To prepare for a thesis defense, students should practice their presentation and anticipate potential questions from their committee. It is also helpful to review their research and have a clear understanding of their methodology and results. Additionally, students should be prepared to defend their work and address any criticism or challenges from the committee.