1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thesis Help

1. Sep 26, 2003 #1
    Hey, I'm having to write a 6-10 page essay. My teacher says I have to proove something, so she thinks it will be hard for me to do it on physics or calculus (although those are my strong points). So if you have any ideas of what I could do, please throw 'em at me. She recommends that I try to find some practical application for either subject, if that helps. Thanks a ton.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your request is a little vague.

Is this for an english class, or...?
  4. Sep 26, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus

1) Can you be a bit more specific about "My teacher says I have to proove something."

2) Are you sure your in college?

3) I suspect the paper is for an english class. If this is correct then I have to agree with your teacher and recommend you stay away from physics and math. How do you expect to write a physics or math proof for an english paper with 75% formulas and 25% words. On top of that you need to find a proof complex enough to span the 6 to 10 pages.

My personal recommendation is to follow your teacher's recommendation and do something practical.
  5. Sep 26, 2003 #4
    Yes it's for English.
  6. Sep 27, 2003 #5
    Well, it need not be a math based approach to the subject. It could be more philisophical. Actually, I had always hoped to get such an assignment in english, but I have completed those requirement as far as my college work goes.
    Since I have studied the physics, I have always been amazed at the order and simplicity of our physical laws. Its given me a sort of zen like approach to life. Maybe you could write about something along those lines, throwing in such concepts as equal and opposite reactions, conservation of energy and entropy, with out getting too technical.
    Also, you could write about the public's general attitude toward physics, especially modern physics. Some of my friends talk of this stuff like its mystical, almost religion like, but they are forgetting that all these theorys, no matter how far out they may seem, are based on the results of physical experiments.
    One more idea, you could discuss the scientific method. I feel that the pure sciences are after the ultimate truth, not letting personal opinions cloud things. Therefore I feel that the sciences are acadamias highest pursuits, with little manipulation and turmoil. Us scientists dont talk smack about what we dont know about, and if we are proven wrong, we dont have as much hard feelings about it.
    I hope these ideas help, and I would really like to read your paper, please send it to me at willmisako@hotmail.com Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?