Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thesis Joy!

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    I just finished my undergraduate thesis and I wanted to share it with everybody! It's not exactly what I wanted it to be, my professor pulled rank and changed the contents, but it's still a representation of a lot of hard work. The undergraduate thesis is not expected to contain original work, so don't be dissapointed.
    The hardest part wasn't even the math, it was definitely making the Latex document!
    I'm so glad I chose to do a thesis as an undergrad though. I learned more than I ever thought I would. And sure I learned math, which was totally awesome and fun, but I think the most valuable things are learned are actually the latex stuff and the things I learned about writing a thesis in general. (But don't tell my professor that.) Now, any time I want to whip out a latex document I can do it with ease. I can turn in class homework all typed up prettiful just to perturb my professors. And as for thesis-ing, I made some serious mistakes that would not have gone overlooked as a grad student. Like not giving myself enough time to do it the way I wanted to...

So here it is, for better or for worse!

zomg I almost just uploaded the pdf with the title page with my name and university for all to see :uhh:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Beautiful thesis.
    Congratulations! :smile:

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3
    great thesis
    No doubt thesis need hard work. its depended for your future.

5. Jul 25, 2012 #4
    Yay! Thanks guys :)

6. Jul 25, 2012 #5

chiro

Science Advisor

Congratulations ArcanaNoir and well done: be proud!

7. Jul 25, 2012 #6
    Congrats! :smile:

8. Jul 26, 2012 #7
    Very nice! Good job! :D

9. Jul 26, 2012 #8

Danger

Gold Member

The last time that I whipped out something with latex on it, I got arrested. I called it "freedom of expression"; the cops called it "indecent exposure". Go figure... :rolleyes:

10. Jul 26, 2012 #9
    Next time use more latex!

11. Jul 26, 2012 #10

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yes... I saw a Z in there that should really be a ##\mathbb{Z}##! ;)

12. Jul 26, 2012 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not sure why, but that sounds uncomfortable.

13. Jul 27, 2012 #12
    Oh noes! Well, I'd rather have a Z in the wrong font than an actual error. Font choice is probably the most innocuous mistake I could make.

14. Jul 27, 2012 #13

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Yay Arcana! You go girl =p. Just one question: you said you were glad you CHOSE to do a bachelor's thesis...isn't it required? Or is that more of a physics thing?

15. Jul 28, 2012 #14

I like Serena

Homework Helper

It's not really a mistake since mathematically a font choice is irrelevant (as long as there is no ambiguity).
    Consistent fonts look nice though, just like latex looks good (on people ;).

16. Jul 28, 2012 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Too right! :tongue2:

As for fonts, I always prefer Comic Sans.

17. Jul 28, 2012 #16

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Whoa...what are all those strange symbols and hieroglyphs? I vaguely remember hearing of them before...something like...numbers? Math? It's all so confusing...

But seriously, congratulations!

18. Jul 29, 2012 #17

Danger

Gold Member

I'm glad that someone injected a note of seriousness, because I felt really uncomfortable at the thought of doing so myself. Now that it's been done, though...
    Congratulations, Arcana. I can't read your thesis, but I take the judgement of the others that it's great. (I started to read your link, but couldn't follow it past the second sentence of the introduction. It seems to have something to do with math, and that's as far as I could get.)
    I hope that doesn't mean that we can't be friends.

19. Jul 29, 2012 #18
    Lol that's okay, my parents didn't even try to read it. I showed it to them and they were like "I already read your title page, honey." and I was like, "no, I want you to read the whole thing!" and they were like, "no...thats okay..." >_<

20. Jul 29, 2012 #19
    Definitely not required. Not required for anyone in any discipline that I know of at my school except the honors college.

21. Jul 29, 2012 #20

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Congratulations on the thesis. It's quite an acheivement.

Well done!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook