1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thesis maker Real or fake?

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1
    " Thesis maker" Real or fake?..

Hello i didn't know how or where to post this question..once in the web i saw a webpage where you paid them a quote and ¡¡they did your Ph. D thesis for you¡¡¡.. i don't know if this is real or not...and what kind of subjects they accept, or what are the prices.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2006 #2
    Let me go out on a limb and say it's probably fake. A thesis is a non-trivial amount of work... I would guess that the number of grad students who could actually *afford* to pay someone to write their thesis for them would be vanishingly small.

If it's an editing service to take a poorly written thesis and whip it into shape, that's a different matter.

4. Aug 23, 2006 #3
    Well that sounds like a great way to start off your career :rolleyes:

5. Aug 23, 2006 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Whether it is real or fake is utterly irrelevant. People who make use of this service deserve what they will get, which would be to get booted off their Ph.D program on their rear ends.

Zz.

6. Aug 23, 2006 #5
    "If it's an editing service to take a poorly written thesis and whip it into shape, that's a different matter."..

- Perhaps i misunderstood and that's what really is.... they help you to improve your redaction for your Ph. D..although i wouldn't mind paying some money ($$) to them if they can perform the "difficult" calculations inside my physics problems (Numerical evaluation of integrals, perturbative correction, Group descomposition, calculation of Tensors in GR, and so on) in case i was doing a Ph. D thesis.. the most important thing (in my opinion) for an academic work is the "main" idea, the calculations and other are simply a matter of fact.

7. Aug 23, 2006 #6

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why should a physicist have to have the ability to do the calculations to back their "main idea"? Such harsh and unreasonable expectations thesis advisors have! (<-sarcasm)

It was hopefully an editing and/or typing service. In otherwords, nothing to do with the actual technical content.

8. Aug 23, 2006 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, I went googling. The "thesismaker" I found claims to be a writing service.
    You'd have to be pretty stupid to take writing advice from this bunch.

9. Aug 23, 2006 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Their website might as well conclude with "We wll definetly right you a real good paper. CHEAP!"

- Warren

10. Aug 23, 2006 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even if it is a genuine "enterprise" who will write, edit or perform the 'difficult calculations' for you; you will fall down at your thesis defence if you rely on a third party to write or heavily edit your thesis.

11. Aug 23, 2006 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, unless you sign up for ThesisDefender.com, too. All you need to do is email them a photograph, and hey'll drop ship a shrink-wrapped post-doc, similar enough to you in physical appearance to fool your advisors under dim light, to your door in a plain brown crate. Two-day shipping is available for only a small additional fee.

- Warren

12. Aug 23, 2006 #11
    I am amazed at how many serious replies were given to this thread. :rofl:

Somehow, I don't think you would make it to your defense if your paying for someone to write your paper. In fact, I think the prof your working under would realize you don't know what your talking about after about one month of no work to show. He would probably laugh at your face and throw you out his office, and then laugh at you some more while shaking his head. :biggrin:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?