1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thesis Writing for Undergrads

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    This is something I have been thinking about and researching. I have found some answers, and it seems to be different depending on the requirements of the university, etc. Still I wonder when is it that undergrad students start writing their thesis? If you have written a thesis, what help/guidance were you provided with?

From the information I have located, undergrads typically start writing their thesis the semester before graduation and may continue for a few months after graduation. I have also seen reference to a counselor who may review and provide guidance along the way, but I am not sure what the role of that individual is. Is there a thesis workshop or seminar?

I hope this is not too broad. If it is, I will do my best to clarify. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2
    The undergrad thesis is usually written in the year that they graduate, either Spring or Fall. I think the more popular route is Spring since most feel that the thesis should mark the end of their undergrad experience.

In terms of the actual thesis process (advisor, deadlines, etc.), it would be much more helpful for you to consult your department's advisor or assigned advisor. They would be much more helpful than some general and vague information we could give.

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3
    Thanks Anonymous217...your answer actually helped me a lot :D

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If the thesis is a requirement for graduation, it usually has to be turned in by some deadline a few weeks before graduation. It does not continue post-graduation. As Anonymous217 said, your department can give you more detail on deadlines.

6. Aug 23, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I started writing in spring, although I already did the necessary research in fall.

In my case, the professor would present me the basic outline of what should be in the thesis. She also provided me with the necessary references that I could look into. I would then regurarly (once a month or so) meet with her to check my progress and to see if there were any problems.

Do expect to do all the work on your own. Your professor will certainly help you if you're stuck, but you shouldn't use that resource much

Of course, all of this is from a math point-of-view. Perhaps physics is different.

7. Aug 23, 2011 #6
    Thanks so much Vanadium 50 :)
    Thanks micromass :D your response was very insightful. I understand that the work of the thesis should be done by the student but was not sure what guidance was provided by the advisor/ professor etc. My upper level classes / junior year will not start until Fall of next year, so I'm trying to get a general idea of the process.

8. Aug 24, 2011 #7
    Hmmm...I wonder if I will have to write 2 since I have 2 majors.

9. Aug 24, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Maybe you can arrange it that you only need to write one, but with a subject that spans the two majors. It's certainly worth to ask your department...

10. Aug 25, 2011 #9
    I definitely will. Thanks micromass :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook