1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenian theorem

1. Jan 26, 2009 #1
    This question is based on the thevenian's theorem,but my problem is on the basic rule of circuit.I have come at the stage where I have to calculate the Thevenian's voltage that is "V" across A and B.I know that V=I*6 since V across AB equals to the V across CD as there is no drop of current on the 3 ohms resistor but now I have to calculste I which can be found by V/R(total).V is 36 volt.Now I have to find Total R which is the stage where I am totally confused since I just know how to rearrange the given circuit.I don't know which one is parallel or in series with another.Please have a look on the picture (which is messy).
    Your post is valuable or me.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The Thevenin voltage is the open circuit voltage between the terminals A & B. Since you already realize that the 3 Ω resistor is irrelevant, just ignore it. You have a simple series circuit, for which you can find the total resistance and then the current. Use that to find the Thevenin voltage.

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    Thanks,I used the voltage divider rule and got the answer.

5. Jan 29, 2009 #4
    This is another type of question where I am troubled to calculate the thevenian voltage.The original question is to calculate the current through 10 ohms resistor.

Attached Files:

6. Jan 29, 2009 #5

Doc Al

Once again, the Thevenin voltage is the open circuit voltage between A and B. That means there's no current through the 8 Ω resistor (but don't neglect the 12 V battery). Use the voltage divider rule to find the voltage across the 2 Ω resistor.

7. Jan 31, 2009 #6
    Yeap I really don't know how to treat 12 V battery.

8. Jan 31, 2009 #7

Doc Al

It's in series with the Thevenin voltage. (But oppositely oriented.)

9. Feb 1, 2009 #8
    Can you give some more hint please........

10. Feb 3, 2009 #9

Doc Al

Do this: Find the Thevenin voltage just before the 12 V battery. Then you can add the 12 V battery in series with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?