Thevenin and Norton Equivalent Circuits problem

In summary, when looking at the problem, the Thevenin circuit is running with the terminals open, while the Norton circuit is not. Shorting the terminals of the Thevein circuit would make it start running, while shorting the terminals of the Norton circuit would not stop it running, but would greatly reduce the current through the 1ohm resistance.
saltine
Hi, I found this question from a textbook:

Suppose there are two black boxes, Box A has a 1V voltage source and 1ohm resistance (Thevein Circuit); and Box B has a 1A current source and 1ohm resistance (Norton Circuit). You only have access to the two terminals. How do you know which is which by using only a shorting wire?

When I look at the problem, I know that the Norton circuit is running with the terminals open, while the Thevenin one is not. Shorting the terminals of the Thevein circuit would make it start running, while shorting the terminals of the Norton circuit would not stop it running, but would greatly reduce the current through the 1ohm resistance. But how would I tell whether the circuit is running with just the wire? Perhaps the wire is not put between the two terminals?

I look online and find an answer about how the Norton circuit would be hotter. But if that is the answer, why would I even need a shorting wire?

Engineering news on Phys.org
When open, the Norton is hotter. When shorted, the Thevenin is hotter. You don't really need the wire. But the wire when used, illustrates the duality of nature.

Claude

Hi if your dealing with thevenin and norton circuits then i suggest you memorize the effects on wire that is short circuited (if i remember right, voltage and resistence = 0, and i = unknown), and on open circuited (if i remember right, i = 0, voltage and resistence = unknown).

This can be of use in problems with dependent voltage sources, where they are dependent on the current in some wire that got shorted when you followed the shorting rules, etc.

See: http://wolfsfiles.googlepages.com/norton.jpg
And my thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=255090

Also theirs something i used in this problem: Rth = Vth/Isc When i used it in an exam i had to mathematically and logically prove that formula to be correct in order to get the points... in short i had to fight for the points... but you know it.,. it might be of use.

1. What is the Thevenin and Norton Equivalent Circuit problem?

The Thevenin and Norton Equivalent Circuit problem is a method for simplifying complex electrical circuits into simpler, equivalent circuits that have the same voltage, current, and resistance characteristics at a specific load. It is commonly used in circuit analysis and design to make calculations and predictions easier.

2. What is the difference between Thevenin and Norton Equivalent Circuits?

The Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is a simplified circuit that represents the equivalent voltage source and series resistance of a complex circuit. The Norton Equivalent Circuit, on the other hand, is a simplified circuit that represents the equivalent current source and parallel resistance of a complex circuit.

3. How do you determine the Thevenin and Norton Equivalent values?

To determine the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit, you need to find the open-circuit voltage (V_oc) and the equivalent resistance (R_th) of the complex circuit. The Thevenin voltage is equal to V_oc, while the Thevenin resistance is equal to the total resistance of the circuit when all sources are turned off. To determine the Norton Equivalent Circuit, you need to find the short-circuit current (I_sc) and the equivalent resistance (R_n) of the complex circuit. The Norton current is equal to I_sc, while the Norton resistance is equal to the total resistance of the circuit when all sources are shorted.

4. Why is Thevenin and Norton Equivalent Circuits used?

Thevenin and Norton Equivalent Circuits are used to simplify complex circuits and make calculations and predictions easier. They are also useful in circuit design, as they allow engineers to quickly determine the behavior of a circuit without having to analyze the entire complex circuit. They are also useful for troubleshooting and fault finding in circuits.

5. What are the limitations of Thevenin and Norton Equivalent Circuits?

The Thevenin and Norton Equivalent Circuits are only valid for linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must have a linear relationship between voltage and current. They also assume that the circuit is in a steady-state condition. Additionally, the Thevenin and Norton Equivalent values are only accurate for a specific load, so they may not accurately represent the behavior of the circuit under different load conditions.