1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin equivalent circuit

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I trying to figure out a thevenin equivalent circuit

I want to calculate the current I so I cant get the resistance for the thevenin equivalent.

Im not 100% sure how to calculate I, can I use KCL on the node under the number -8.7V?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Re: thevenin

That sure is a complex circuit. To find Rth, kill all the current and voltage sources and then measure the equivalent resistance between A&B.

KCL is valid everywhere. Is that -6.7 and -8.7 node voltages given by the question? If so, then you can easily find Isc. Also note that the 1mA source is connected in parallel with a short-circuited wire.
  4. Sep 12, 2008 #3

so if short circuit the system. Can I setup KCL on node A and then solve for I,
    I = I(source) + I(R10).

But it seems odd to do so.
  5. Sep 12, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

You got the equation wrong. It's IR10 = Isource + I. Be careful of the direction designated for Isc.
  6. Sep 16, 2008 #5

ok, got everything together now, ty for the help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?