• Engineering
  • Thread starter maximade
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Problem located in attachment.

Homework Equations

Parallel, series and wheatstone bridge equations for resistors

The Attempt at a Solution

Converted the circuit to look less confusing. Work shown in other attachment.
I am simply using the equations relating to simplifying circuits to get R total or th, but the book I am using is telling I am wrong. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hi maximade! :smile:

hmm … i get the same as you (1.5 Ω) :confused:

anyone else? :smile:

btw, it might be easier if you started with a different diagram …

put it all inside a triangle with edges 3 3 and ab, and you should see a symmetry that makes it a lot easier :wink:

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I am simply using the equations relating to simplifying circuits to get R total or th, but the book I am using is telling I am wrong.
It's a talking book? :tongue:

I'd say you're half right. A Thévenin equivalent involves a voltage source together with a series resistance. So, what's your voltage?

Last edited:
Yes, it is a talking book haha. (Don't know how to do that quote thing you did)

Correct me if I am wrong but because the current source is the load, I thought I just turn it into an open circuit then solve for resistance from there.

I could just be not understand the whole process.

Thoughts?

gneill
Mentor
Yes, it is a talking book haha. (Don't know how to do that quote thing you did)
Use the "Quote" button on the post in question to start your reply with that post's text included as a quote.

Correct me if I am wrong but because the current source is the load, I thought I just turn it into an open circuit then solve for resistance from there.
Ah, but the current source is not the load; it's part of the circuit. It just happens to lie across the output nodes. If you think about the network of resistors "behind" it being reduced to a single resistor, then what would the current source and resistor look like (in terms of circuits you might be familiar with)?

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It may look like a bridge arrangement, but no one says it can't be used in an exercise where you just need a jumble of resistors. :smile:

The question asks that you find the Thévenin equivalent of the circuit as it appears at terminals (a,b). The source is, in this question, part of that circuit. At terminals (a,b) you will see a source feeding into a resistance. You have correctly determined the equivalent single resistance, now imagine that source connected across that resistance. How much current will be flowing? What voltage will be measured at the terminals (a,b)?

Describe what you have so that it fits the classic Thévenin circuit.