How Do Controlled Sources Impact Thevenin Equivalent Calculations?

In summary, the homework equation says that the current through the 3Ω plus the current through the 6Ω is equal to the current from the dependent source.
Frankenstein19

Homework Statement

[/B]
upload_2017-12-11_15-51-25.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the equivalent resistance since the 3 ohm resistor and 6 ohm resistor are in series. 9ohm. Then I did chose the node where the arrow points to as Voc, which is also va.

KVL:
(va+24V)/9ohm=1.33va
I get va to be 2.18

Then looking for Isc, I close the output terminals and then do kcl again on the node on top of the voltage controlled current source

1.33va-isc-24V/9ohm=0

and get isc=0.23

so Rt=2.18/0.23=9.47

The book says

isc=.24 and Rt=-3

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-11_15-51-25.png
    upload_2017-12-11_15-51-25.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 747
Physics news on Phys.org
Frankenstein19 said:
Then I did chose the node where the arrow points to as Voc, which is also va.

That doesn't look right to me. From your picture, it looks like ##V_a## is between the resistors, not at the node above the dependent source.

Likes scottdave and Frankenstein19
Drakkith said:
That doesn't look right to me. From your picture, it looks like ##V_a## is between the resistors, not at the node above the dependent source.
Yikes. ok so if i apply kcl on va i between the resistors i'd have:

(va+24)/3ohm + (voc-va)/6ohm=1.33va

since i have 2 variables i need 2 eq and doing kcl on voc:

(voc-va)/6ohm -24V/9ohm= 1.33va

I get that va is 2.29 and voc is 36.58

Frankenstein19 said:

It helps if you sound out what your equations are saying. For instance, your first eqn says that the current through the 3Ω plus the current through the 6Ω is equal to the current from the dependent source. Is that what you intend?

direction is consistently clockwise

Likes scottdave
Frankenstein19 said:

Like @NascentOxygen said, look at how many different currents you should have in that one loop.

Frankenstein19 said:
First I found the equivalent resistance since the 3 ohm resistor and 6 ohm resistor are in series. 9ohm.
Beware! When you have controlled sources like the ##1.33 v_a## source in the network, the effective Thevenin resistance will very likely not be simply a function of the network resistors! The controlled source will actively alter the V vs I characteristics that are "seen" from the output terminals. You cannot simply suppress controlled sources to find the Thevenin resistance. You need to take its effects into account.

A typical way to approach such problems is to attach a "test" source to the output and then analyze the circuit to find the current and voltage at the output, and hence by Ohm's law, the resistance. There are other methods, too. One that I favor involves assuming that there is some load resistance ##R_L## connected to the output, then using nodal analysis to find the voltage across that load resistor. This will yield an expression involving ##R_L##. Since a Thevenin source driving a load resistance is a classic voltage divider circuit, the expression that you find for the output voltage can be manipulated to the form of the standard voltage divider equation, and the Thevenin voltage and Thevenin resistance can be picked out of that equation by inspection :wink:

Likes scottdave

1. What is the Thevenin Equivalent Problem?

The Thevenin Equivalent Problem is a method used in circuit analysis to simplify a complex network of resistors, voltage sources, and current sources into a single voltage source and resistor. This simplified circuit is known as the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit.

2. Why is the Thevenin Equivalent Problem important?

The Thevenin Equivalent Problem is important because it allows for easier analysis of complex circuits. By simplifying the circuit into a single voltage source and resistor, it becomes easier to calculate the voltage and current at any point in the circuit.

3. How is the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit calculated?

The Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is calculated by removing the load resistor from the original circuit and finding the open circuit voltage (Voc) and the equivalent resistance (Req) of the circuit. These values can be found using various techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws or voltage divider equations.

4. What are the limitations of the Thevenin Equivalent Problem?

The Thevenin Equivalent Problem has a few limitations, such as only being applicable to linear circuits and not taking into account the effects of non-linear elements such as diodes. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state condition and does not account for transient behavior.

5. How is the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit used in practical applications?

The Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is commonly used in practical applications such as electronic circuit design and troubleshooting. It allows for faster and easier analysis of complex circuits, making it a useful tool for engineers and technicians. It is also used in power systems analysis to determine the voltage and current levels at different points in a circuit.