Thevenin equivalent sc current

In summary, the conversation is about using the node-voltage and mesh current methods to solve a problem involving short-circuit current. The problem involves three meshes and the solution is found by solving a system of linear equations. However, there is a mistake in the mesh 1 equation which results in the incorrect value for i1. The correct value for i1 is 6 ohms, not 6 amps.
hitemup

Homework Statement

DwtKmI8.jpg
[/B]

Homework Equations

[/B]
Node-voltage method
mesh current method

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My problem is with the short-circuit current.
There are three meshes when you join the nodes a and b.
Let i1 be the cw current for the bottom right mesh, i2 be the ccw current for the bottom left mesh, and i3 be the ccw current for the upper mesh.

Then I have

8(i1)+20(i1+i2)=0 for mesh 1
20(i1+i2)+5(i2-i3)+72=0 for mesh 2
5(i3-i2)+8(i3+i1)+12(i3)=0 for mesh 3

It turns out i1=6 when the system of linear equations is solved. But according to the answer it is the resistance not the current that has the magnitude of 6. What is wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your mesh 1 equation. You're missing the i3 contribution.

Likes hitemup

1. What is Thevenin equivalent sc current?

Thevenin equivalent sc current is a simplified representation of a complex electrical circuit that contains a single voltage source and a single resistor. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of a circuit, particularly in relation to short-circuit currents.

2. How is Thevenin equivalent sc current calculated?

Thevenin equivalent sc current is calculated by finding the voltage and resistance of the original circuit, and then using Ohm's Law (I = V/R) to determine the current. The voltage is found by open-circuiting the original circuit and measuring the voltage at the terminals, while the resistance is found by short-circuiting the voltage source and measuring the current through the short circuit.

3. What is the purpose of determining Thevenin equivalent sc current?

The purpose of determining Thevenin equivalent sc current is to simplify the analysis of a complex circuit, making it easier to predict the behavior of the circuit and troubleshoot any issues. It also allows for easier comparison between different circuits and the calculation of maximum power transfer.

4. Can Thevenin equivalent sc current be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin equivalent sc current is only applicable to linear circuits, where the relationship between voltage and current follows Ohm's Law. Non-linear circuits require more advanced techniques for analysis.

5. How does Thevenin equivalent sc current relate to Norton equivalent sc current?

Thevenin and Norton equivalent sc currents are mathematically equivalent, meaning they provide the same information about a circuit. The difference lies in the representation of the circuit - Thevenin equivalent represents the circuit as a voltage source and a resistor, while Norton equivalent represents it as a current source and a resistor.