1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin equivalent

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]

Finding the thevenin equivalent of the above circuit

This is what I did, I set the current source to zero, no current passes through
    so the Rth is the resistor on farthest right // with another 2 in series with 4.
    so it is 5ohms?

Finding the open circuit voltage, I use a current divider(the current source is 10A given):
    10 times ( 1/(2//2+2)) ) / (1/2 + 1/(2//2+2)) ) does it look alright to you guys? others solutions are appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

CEL

Your analysis is wrong. With the source open circuited, you have the rightmost resistor in series with the parallel of 2 and 4 ohm.
    For the open circuit voltage, the source divides by a 2 ohm resistor on the left and 2+2 = 4 ohm in the right. The voltage is the current in the right arm times 2 ohm.

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    o so the Rth is 4//2 +2= 3.33 and since there is no current in the far right resistor, the current divider just involves the other 3 ?

5. Dec 15, 2008 #4
    hello johndoe,
    yes the current divides between the three resistor and does not involve the rightmost resistor as no current flows because of open circuit.
    And your Rth looks correct to me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?