1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin Equivalent

1. Dec 26, 2008 #1
    I have to find the thevenin equivalent of the following circuit in order to find the current and potential difference across the 6 ohm resistor. I can not get to know that where should I start. Should I divide the circuit into 2 parts or what?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Your link leads to a search engine without the picture displayed. Try hosting it on imageshack.us instead.

Update: No you don't have to do that. Since there are no dependent sources, you can kill all voltage and current sources to find the Thevenin equivalent resistance. Then either find the open-circuit Thevenin voltage or the short circuit current.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  4. Dec 26, 2008 #3
    Done

5. Dec 26, 2008 #4
    I have learned to find the thevenin equivalent of one port circuits only. If I find Req from right it comes out to be 1 ohm. Where should I start to find the Req? and to find voc Ill have to remove the 6ohm resistor right?

6. Dec 26, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

Ok I didn't check your 1 ohm calculation. But if you find the Req for right and left parts of the circuit, then the total Req is the equivalent resistance in parallel.

As for the Vth, yes you have to remove it to make an open circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?