1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin Equivalent

1. May 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Thevenin Equivalent resistance for the network below:
    http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8508/circuit.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

R=(1/R1+1/R2)^-1

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi all,

to find the resistance i short circuited the volage sources and created an open loop across the current source. Then it looks like the current will not travel through the uppr loop beacuse its in parallel with a short circuit(where the current will rather go). I concluded that by breaking the circuit at Vo we have R1 and R2 in parallel. Which leaves us with the resistance being 2.7K ohm. but thats incorrect according to my book.

Help appreciated thnks

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2009 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You removed the sources in the correct way, but I'll need to see your calculations if I am going to be able to see your mistake. Can you show your calculations? Also, what do you mean by R_1 and R_2? There are five resistors, not just two.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  4. May 10, 2009 #3
    thanks for the reply,

resistance=((1/8.3k)+(1/4.1k))^-1 (just 2 resistors in parallel)
    so resistance is 2.74kOhms

5. May 10, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 2 resistors in the top half of the circuit are not in parallel (after removing the current source and shorting the voltage sources).

Note, the resistance is to be calculated across the + and - terminals of Vo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook