Understanding Thevenin Equivalent: Why Zeq = 0

In summary, the circuit below has an unknown equivalent impedance. This impedance is 0, which is what led to the Zeq = 0 error.
magnifik
For the circuit below, can someone please help me understand why Zeq = 0 (in words...not by solving):
jt6jw4.png

I know Vth = 50<0° since this is the voltage drop across the parallel elements. I don't understand why the equivalent impedance would be 0. I know when you shut off a voltage source, elements in parallel with it also go away. does this have anything to do with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%A9venin%27s_theorem"

To calculate the equivalent circuit, the resistance and voltage are needed, so two equations are required. These two equations are usually obtained by using the following steps, but any conditions placed on the terminals of the circuit should also work:

1. Calculate the output voltage, VAB, when in open circuit condition (no load resistor—meaning infinite resistance). This is VTh.
2. Calculate the output current, IAB, when the output terminals are short circuited (load resistance is 0). RTh equals VTh divided by this IAB.

The equivalent circuit is a voltage source with voltage VTh in series with a resistance RTh.

Step 2 could also be thought of as:

2a. Replace voltage sources with short circuits, and current sources with open circuits.
2b. Calculate the resistance between terminals A and B. This is RTh.

So you know the Thevenin Voltage already. In step two you can short all voltage sources, open all current sources (as per step 2a.) and then comment on the resistance of the remaining circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the element represented by a circle with an arrow in it?

NascentOxygen said:

it's a current source

Zryn said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%A9venin%27s_theorem"

So you know the Thevenin Voltage already. In step two you can short all voltage sources, open all current sources (as per step 2a.) and then comment on the resistance of the remaining circuit.

so is it because when you short the voltage source the elements in parallel are shut off, too?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only a matter of calculating the parallel resistance as per normal:

1/R(t) = 1 / R(short) + 1 / R(open) + 1 / R(C) + 1 / R(L) + 1 / R(R)

R(t) = 1 / [1 / 0 + 1 / inf + 1 / -j10 + 1 / j20 + 1 / 30]

R(t) = 1 / [(1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0)/0] (put all 5 fractions over a common denominator)

R(t) = 1 / [1 / 0]

R(t) = 1 * [0 / 1]

R(t) = 0

You could have just 'seen' that by knowing that the short circuit from the voltage source will bypass all the other elements in the circuit, since current will follow the path of least resistance and split down parallel paths in inverse proportionality to the magnitude of the resistance of each path. I guess 'shut off' is correct, but you could word it better :smile:.

Are we treating this whole 5 element thing as a voltage source? So we seek the equivalent impedance as seen between the top rail and the bottom rail?

Or are we determining the thevenin impedance of a voltage source comprising an ideal voltage source in parallel with a current source?

(Please don't say it doesn't matter. I can see that! I'd still like to know the question before I state the answer. :smile: )

1. What is Thevenin Equivalent?

Thevenin Equivalent is a circuit analysis technique used to simplify complex circuits into a single voltage source and a single series impedance. It helps in understanding the behavior of a circuit and is commonly used in electronic design and troubleshooting.

2. Why is Thevenin Equivalent important?

Thevenin Equivalent allows for the analysis of complex circuits without having to consider every single component. This makes circuit analysis and design much easier and more efficient. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a circuit under different conditions.

3. What is Zeq in Thevenin Equivalent?

Zeq is the equivalent impedance of a circuit in Thevenin Equivalent. It represents the total impedance of the circuit when all independent sources are removed and replaced by their internal resistances. In a perfect Thevenin Equivalent, Zeq will be equal to 0.

4. Why Zeq = 0 in Thevenin Equivalent?

Zeq = 0 in Thevenin Equivalent because the voltage source is ideal and has no internal resistance. This means that there is no voltage drop across the source and all the current in the circuit flows through it. As a result, the impedance of the circuit becomes 0.

5. How is Thevenin Equivalent used in practical applications?

Thevenin Equivalent is commonly used in practical applications for circuit analysis, design, and troubleshooting. It allows for the simplification of complex circuits, making it easier to understand and analyze their behavior. It is also used in the design of power systems and electronic devices.