How can Thevenin equivalent circuits be represented using a mechanical analogy?

• Thread starter morry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analogy
In summary: Thevenin equivalent circuits are just a way of representing these circuits with fewer resistors and voltages.
morry
My lecturer mentioned something about how you can represent Thevenin equivalent circuits with forces etc. As a mech eng student, this would be easier to understand than stupid resistors and voltages. :)

Does anyone know what I am on about? I can't think of how you could do this, but then again, I don't really understand Thevenin all too well.

Cheers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In making an electrical/mechanical analogy, you can replace currents by forces, voltages by velocities, resistances by viscous friction (the friction force is proportional to speed), capacitances by masses and inductances by the inverses of spring constants.
Does it help?

A) A pump which holds a constant pressure at the head and can deliver infinite
flow is connected to a flowmeter via a section of finite diameter pipe.

B) A second pump which maintains a constant flow rate and can develop any
pressure at the head is connected to itself with another short pipe section.
A pressure gauge measures the pressure at across this pipe.

For any type of pump and pipe section in situation A, you can find another
pipe and pump of type B that will have an identical pressure and flow
rate for any type of a second branch pipe you may connect to either
A or B. You won't know from measuring the flow and pressure at the service
pipe whether you are geting your fluid from a type A or type B system.

Hmm, I am still a bit confused, but I kinda get it. Thanks guys.

What exactly are you having trouble with in understanding Thevenin equivalent circuits?

re

This mechanical analogy may not be physically correct, but the idea is the same.

Suppose you pick any I-beam in a skyscraper, and want to analyze all forces, shears and stresses that are acting on it. If you could reduce all that junk to a single force and shear you could model what's going to the I-beam.

Similarly with resistors (I-Beam)

Suppose you have a glob of interconnected resistors with voltage and current sources. If you pick any resistor in the circuit, you can model what's going on between the two nodes across you resistor with a single voltage source (thevenin) and another resistor (thevenin).

If you then take your resistor that you picked and connect it to the thevenin voltage source and the thevenin resistor, it will give you the same effect if your resistor was connected to whole circuit.

Last edited:

1. What is the Thevenin/Mechanical analogy?

The Thevenin/Mechanical analogy is a concept used in electrical engineering to simplify and analyze complex circuits. It is based on the idea that any linear electrical circuit can be represented by a voltage source in series with a resistor, similar to how a complex mechanical system can be simplified to a single force and a single resistance.

2. How is the Thevenin/Mechanical analogy used in circuit analysis?

The Thevenin/Mechanical analogy is used to simplify complex circuits and determine the behavior of a circuit at a given point. By replacing a section of a circuit with a single voltage source and resistor, the overall circuit can be reduced to a much simpler form that is easier to analyze and understand.

3. What is the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit using the Thevenin/Mechanical analogy. It consists of a single voltage source in series with a single resistor, which have the same voltage and current characteristics as the original circuit at a specific point.

4. What are the limitations of the Thevenin/Mechanical analogy?

The Thevenin/Mechanical analogy is only applicable to linear circuits, which means it cannot be used for circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors. It also assumes that the circuit parameters, such as resistance and voltage, remain constant, which may not always be the case in real-world circuits.

5. How is the Thevenin/Mechanical analogy related to the concept of impedance?

The Thevenin/Mechanical analogy is closely related to the concept of impedance, which is a measure of the opposition to current flow in an electrical circuit. In the Thevenin equivalent circuit, the resistor represents the impedance of the original circuit, while the voltage source represents the open-circuit voltage at the given point.