Can I Transform Diode in Parallel for V_out vs. I_in Graph?

• Thread starter ElijahRockers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the Homework Statement is trying to find out if it is possible to transform a voltage source into a single diode in order to find the appropriate value of current input into the diode in order to allow it to operate. The Homework Statement found that it is not possible to transform the voltage source into a single diode, but found an alternate way of thinking about the diode as a resistor which changes value depending on the direction of the current that wants to pass through it.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Graph V_out as a function of I_in

540x405.png

Attempt:

I was able to complete the previous three questions by doing norton-thevenin source transformations and getting a single voltage source, which let me figure out the appropriate value of I_in for which the diode operates.

But with the diode in parallel I'm not sure I can transform. Can I do this?:

540x405.png

If so, then that will allow me to draw a graph, but the diode in parallel threw me off.

EDIT: The voltage in the last diagram shouldn't have a value of 1V associated with it, this exercise involves no specific values for any components

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit tricky. You can think of the diode as a resistor in parallel with R1, but it's a resistor that changes value depending upon the direction of the current that wants to pass through it. Your transformed source model will have two versions: one where the diode is conducting and one where the diode is not conducting. Bit of a catch-22 there, since you need to know which model to apply when, in order to find out which model to apply...

It might be simpler to consider the direction of current flow imposed by I_in over its domain and model the diode accordingly in the different conditions.

Alternatively, you might think of the diode as a "voltage clamp" across R1 which allows the voltage to increase in the usual Ohm's law fashion in one polarity, but clamps it to the diode forward voltage (0V for ideal diode) in the other. Sketch the voltage across R1 without the diode present, then add the effect of the clamp. Vout is just the VR1 voltage curve shifted up by Vb.

So when I_in > 0, V_out is just the voltage drop across Vb and R1, and if I_in < 0 it would be Vd + Vb?

Also, I'm assuming my attempt at source transforming is wrong, because of the diode, right?

Last edited:
ElijahRockers said:
So when I_in > 0, V_out is just the voltage drop across Vb and R1, and if I_in < 0 it would be Vd + Vb?
That's the big picture, yes. You might have to pay a bit of attention to the details when I_in is negative but small so that the potential drop across R1 is less than Vd (the diode doesn't start conducting until the drop across R1 exceeds Vd).
Also, I'm assuming my attempt at source transforming is wrong, because of the diode, right?

Not so much wrong as impractical. There will be two distinct versions of the transformation (current, resistance) which depend upon whether or not the diode is conducting or not. You need to know when to apply which version for a given value of I_in. But since that's essentially what you're trying to find out, life will just get more complicated... :smile:

gneill said:
life will just get more complicated... :smile:

Well. Spring break is here so, at least for the moment, life will be simpler. :P

1. How can I transform diodes in parallel for a V_out vs. I_in graph?

In order to transform diodes in parallel for a V_out vs. I_in graph, you will need to use a voltage divider circuit. This involves connecting multiple diodes in parallel and using resistors to divide the voltage across them. The output voltage can then be measured and plotted against the input current to create the desired graph.

2. Can I use any type of diode for this transformation?

Yes, you can use any type of diode for this transformation as long as they have the same forward voltage drop. This ensures that the diodes share the same current and the voltage is evenly divided among them.

3. How many diodes do I need to use for this graph transformation?

The number of diodes needed will depend on the desired output voltage and the forward voltage drop of the diodes. Generally, you will need at least two diodes to create a voltage divider circuit.

4. Can I transform diodes in parallel for other types of graphs?

Yes, you can transform diodes in parallel for other types of graphs such as V_out vs. V_in or V_out vs. R_load. The concept is the same, but the calculations and circuit design may vary depending on the specific graph.

5. Are there any limitations to using diodes in parallel for graph transformations?

One limitation of using diodes in parallel for graph transformations is that the voltage drop across each diode must be the same. If the diodes have different forward voltage drops, the voltage division will not be accurate and the graph will not be representative of the actual output. Additionally, using too many diodes in parallel can also cause power dissipation issues and potentially damage the diodes.