1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin Potential

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys,

There is an example in the textbook regarding simplifying the frequency model of a BJT amplifier. It ends up determining the potential across the highlighted resistor I attached. The formula that the textbook is rather different than the one I determined to be the Thevenin, and hence I am looking for some sort of explanation. I plugged in some values to determine if they were equivalent, and they were close, but not exact. I believe there was approximatedly 0.0016 V difference for the particular values I had chosen. The textbook gives
    [tex]V'_{sig}=V_{sig}\frac{R_3}{R_3+R_{1}}\frac{R_{4}}{R_{4}+R_2+(R_{1}//R_3)}[/tex]

I do not understand how they ended up with [itex]R_1//R_3[/itex]. I analyzed the circuit two different ways. I used potential dividers and I also determined the current passing through that leg. Each time my results were vastly different; however, they do give the same results upon evaluation.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

To get the textbook result, replace the source and R1 and R3 with the Thevenin equivalent, giving a source of Vsig.R3/(R1+R3) and having impedance R1 // R3

This Thevenin equivalent is then loaded by the series resistances R2 and R4.

If I nominate some values, e.g.,
    R1=4
    R2=2
    R3=5
    R4=3

That expression gives Vsig‘ = 0.2307 Vsig

I'll recheck.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  4. Nov 28, 2013 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I checked using potential dividers with loading taken into account, the result with the above figures is also 0.2307

5. Nov 28, 2013 #4
    Finally! I was staring at that for a good hour attempting to determine how they got that. Thanks a bunch!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted