1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin Problem

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This one has a few parts, so let's start with part a. See attachment for circuit. I've got two drawings in the attachment. I'll label them A and B. Image A is the original circuit.

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

My first step is to find set RL to open. I can use a voltage divider equation and find the voltage to be 16V.

The next (which is where I am stuck) is to find RL as a short. Shown by image B. My professor wasn't the best in showing this as he used some trick I have no clue how solved this way.

I can find ITOT using...

[itex]I=\frac{V}{R} \Rightarrow \frac{24}{3+6//4}[/itex]

Solving for ITOT gives me 4.4A. My professor used this value and somehow came up with the current over the 4Ω resistor.

Then plugged it into..

[itex]R_{th} = \frac{V_th}{I_{short}}[/itex]

To find the Thevenin equivalent.

How does one find the current when RL is a short?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

Zryn

Gold Member

Did you mean for the parallel resistors in Diagram B to be 6R and 4R? They are labeled 6R and 3R currently.

Knowing the circuit series current allows you to determine how the current will split when it enters a parallel connection. The general way to do this is using the current divider formula:

[itex]I_{n}[/itex] = [itex]I_{s}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{R_{other}}{(R_{other} + R_{n})}[/itex]

Where:

[itex]R_{other}[/itex] is the total resistance of the other resistors, [itex]R_{n}[/itex] is the resistance which you wish to find the current through, [itex]I_{s}[/itex] is the current being divided and [itex]I_{n}[/itex] is the current you want to find.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook