Thevenin reduction of network for fault analysis trouble.

In summary, the conversation discusses a reduction from a top network to a bottom network, which involves a Δ-Y transformation and the calculation of fault impedance. There is also mention of a mistake made in not converting from cartesian to polar coordinates.
Bringitondown

Homework Statement

Reduction from top network to bottom network in the screen shot. I can not find the steps that have been taken to do this.
Fault impedance = Zfa = Zfb = Zfc = j0.5
upload_2016-11-13_14-25-38.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

in hand written screenshot, sorry for the mess, just to show it has been attempted.
upload_2016-11-13_14-26-44.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a Δ-Y transformation to me.

I have just realized i have not converted from cart to pol when calculating equivalent impedance.
doh, i think this may have been the problem

gneill said:
Yes, thanks will try again with this in mind.
thank you

tra
gneill said:
Transformation right enough, thanks for this.

Happy to help :smile:

What is Thevenin reduction of network for fault analysis?

Thevenin reduction of network for fault analysis is a method used in electrical engineering to simplify a complex network into a single voltage source and a single resistor. This simplification allows for easier analysis and troubleshooting of network faults.

Why is Thevenin reduction used for fault analysis?

Thevenin reduction is used for fault analysis because it reduces a complex network into a simpler equivalent circuit, making it easier to analyze and troubleshoot faults. It also allows for more accurate predictions of the network's behavior under faulty conditions.

How is Thevenin reduction performed?

Thevenin reduction is performed by disconnecting the load from the network and calculating the equivalent Thevenin voltage and resistance of the network. The Thevenin voltage is the open-circuit voltage at the load terminals, and the Thevenin resistance is the resistance seen from the load terminals when all sources are turned off.

What are the limitations of Thevenin reduction for fault analysis?

Thevenin reduction assumes that the network is linear and that all sources are independent. It also assumes that the network is in steady-state conditions. These assumptions may not hold true in all practical scenarios and can lead to inaccuracies in fault analysis results.

Can Thevenin reduction be used for any type of network?

Thevenin reduction is most commonly used for linear networks, but it can also be applied to non-linear networks as long as the non-linear elements are replaced with their linearized equivalents. However, this can result in less accurate fault analysis results compared to linear networks.