Find Thevenin's Voltage (VTH) Across Resistor R3 - Thevenin Theorem

In summary, the Thevenin's Voltage (VTH) across resistor R3 for the circuit can be found by removing R3 from the circuit and using the current divider rule to find the voltage drop across all resistors. The Thevenin voltage across R3 is then equal to the voltage difference across the points where R3 was present. The correct answer is 11.7V.
Loke
Find the the equivalent Thevenin’s Voltage (VTH) across resistor R3 for the circuit.

-can anyone tell me what's your answer for the solution?
-if i want to use current divider rule...how am i going to solve it?

attempt solution:
Vth=VR3=R3/(R1+R3+R2)*V
= 8.33v

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To find Thevenin voltage across R3, remove R3 from the circuit. Find current flowing in the circuit and from this find voltage drop across all resistors. Now find voltage difference across the points where R3 was present. That will give you the Thevenin voltage across R3.

Is my attempt solution correct? oh i know ady...thanks karthick...^^ my answer is wrong.Should be V=11.78v

Last edited:
Yes your answer is right, it is 11.7V

To use the current divider rule, we need to first find the total current flowing through the circuit. This can be done by finding the equivalent resistance of the circuit using the parallel and series combination rules. Once we have the total current, we can use the current divider rule to find the current flowing through resistor R3. Then, using Ohm's law, we can find the voltage across resistor R3. This voltage will be the same as the Thevenin's voltage (Vth) across resistor R3.

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is a theorem in electrical engineering that states any linear, active network containing several voltage sources and resistors can be replaced by a single voltage source in series with a single resistor. This equivalent circuit is known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

2. How is Thevenin's Voltage (VTH) calculated?

Thevenin's Voltage (VTH) is calculated by removing the load resistor from the original circuit and finding the voltage across the two open terminals. This voltage is the Thevenin voltage.

3. What is the purpose of finding Thevenin's Voltage?

Finding Thevenin's Voltage allows us to simplify complex circuits by replacing them with a single voltage source and resistor. This makes it easier to analyze and solve circuit problems.

4. How is Thevenin's Voltage used in practical applications?

Thevenin's Voltage is used in practical applications such as circuit design and analysis, as well as in troubleshooting and testing electronic circuits.

5. Can Thevenin's Voltage be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's Theorem can only be applied to linear circuits. Non-linear circuits require more complex analysis methods.