1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin voltage and impedance

1. Jan 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the maximum power on a impedance Z.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got as Thevenin impedance Zt=4+j4 and Ut= 32 V, but since my solution for power is wrong, something is wrong with either impedance or voltage (or both).
    If point A is above Z, and point B is under Z, looking from A to B I get for impedance:
    First j4 , then since I have current source in of the branches, I ignore impedances in that branch and get j4+(j4-j4+4) and since there is voltage source I ignore 2-j12.
    For Thevenin voltage, I tried with superposition, and if potential of B=0, I get that for A:
    $$ \varphi_A= 16 \angle 0 + 4 \angle 0 \cdot 4 + 4 \angle 0 \cdot j4 + 4 \angle 0 \cdot (-j4)=32 $$

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your Thevenin values look okay. How did you calculate the maximum power?

4. Jan 29, 2016 #3
    I=Ut/(Z+Zt)=2-j2 , P=I^2 Z = 32-32i = 32 sqrt(2) , And the solution says 64.

5. Jan 29, 2016 #4

gneill

What value did you give to the load impedance Z?

6. Jan 29, 2016 #5
    Z=Zt=4+j4

7. Jan 29, 2016 #6

gneill

Check the maximum power theorem for complex impedance. I think you'll find that the imaginary part of the load should nullify the source impedance's imaginary component.

8. Jan 29, 2016 #7
    You're right. I now get P=64-j64, do I now just take real part to get P=64?

9. Jan 29, 2016 #8

gneill

Yup.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted