1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin voltage help

1. Dec 3, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to find the current and voltage across R2 using thenenin.
    I've managed to find Rth, which is equal to (R1 + R4)||(R3 + R5). That comes out to about 2.9 ohms. I need help with finding the Vth (Vab) though.
    Can someone please help me. What are the tricks involved here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Your second picture IS the trick ... with I_2 = 0, what is V_ab ?
    That is, with I_2 = 0 , all the current thru R_1 goes thru R_3 , R_4 , and R_5 .
  4. Dec 4, 2005 #3
    Ok then so with R2 removed, the circuit is now series. That makes the current the same for the remaining resistors.

So if I_2 is 0, then the voltage between that point is also zero? That doesnt seem right though. I still dont get it, please give me another hint.
  5. Dec 6, 2005 #4
    Can no one help.

Would I have to use the voltage divider? How do i use it?
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  6. Dec 6, 2005 #5

Gold Member

Yes you could use the voltage divider formula. With R2 removed, you can think of [tex]V_{AB}[/tex] as the voltage drops across [tex]R_3 and R_5[/tex]

Look at it in this way. When you remove [tex]R_2[/tex], the circuit now becomes a series circuit. Look at where point A and B are. If you where to take a voltmeter and put the probes across points A and B. Your voltmeter would be giving you to combined voltage of R3 and R5.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?