Thevenin Voltage Value Homework

In summary: The resistances must be correct because theoretical and experimental values of resistances are almost identical.
How did you get 470Ω here?

fig1-png.94003.png

According to the simulation I ran, I got 400Ω there.
Screenshot_2016-01-05-06-35-42.png

Physics news on Phys.org
cnh1995 said:
How did you get 470Ω here?
I read the color code on the resistor in the provided image :smile:

gneill said:
I read the color code on the resistor in the provided image :smile:
Oh..!:smile:Beause I could not theoretically determine R1. But once the zener is shorted, R1 won't be a part of the circuit, right?

cnh1995 said:
Oh..!:smile:Beause I could not theoretically determine R1. But once the zener is shorted, R1 won't be a part of the circuit, right?
Right. That's a valid approximation since the zener resistance is small compared to the other resistances in the circuit. So R1 will effectively be shorted, too.

In a more stringent analysis, one might find the resistance of the zener under operating conditions to be, say ten Ohms or so. Maybe less. Maybe a tad more. If it came down to such details then you'd look for a datasheet for the particular zener and pull up a value from there.

Likes cnh1995
gneill said:
Right. That's a valid approximation since the zener resistance is small compared to the other resistances in the circuit. So R1 will effectively be shorted, too.

In a more stringent analysis, one might find the resistance of the zener under operating conditions to be, say ten Ohms or so. Maybe less. Maybe a tad more. If it came down to such details then you'd look for a datasheet for the particular zener and pull up a value from there.
Right!

How about R3 being in parralel with R4, but in series with R2 and R5 in parralel? That gives me something about 4.5 after quick calculation.

Likes NascentOxygen
mrowa196 said:
How about R3 being in parralel with R4, but in series with R2 and R5 in parralel? That gives me something about 4.5 after quick calculation.
You mean (R3 ll R4) in series with (R2 ll R5)? Looks correct to me!

Thank you all very much! I understand it completely now ;)

You calculated the theoretical value for VAB somewhere?

I used this diagram and potential divider calculations to get the voltage at A and B and that gave me a good result
gneill said:
Here's another rendering of your circuit with the components rearranged into a more common pattern:
View attachment 94003

If the zener is replaced by a short (not a bad approximation since it should have a zener resistance of just a few Ohms when in "zener mode") can you reevaluate your method for determining the Thevenin resistance?
At point A: 5.6/(5.6+3.3)*6.2 = 3.90
At point B: 2.7/(68+2.7)*6.2 = 0.24

The difference would be 3.66. Correct?

Last edited:
Looks good.

If you want to obtain a more accurate theoretical value for VAB, replace the zener with a suitable equivalent model and analyze the full circuit. For example, a 6.2 V source in series with a 10 Ω resistor would probably be a pretty good starting point for a model for the zener.

You could then combine the 12 V source and its 470 Ω resistor with the zener model to form a Thevenin equivalent source that drives the bridge. Then tackle the resulting circuit.

Fig3.PNG

Likes mrowa196
gneill said:
Here's another rendering of your circuit with the components rearranged into a more common pattern:
View attachment 94003

If the zener is replaced by a short (not a bad approximation since it should have a zener resistance of just a few Ohms when in "zener mode") can you reevaluate your method for determining the Thevenin resistance?

Hi, I understand how R2 ll R5 and R3 ll R4 but what is the reasoning for R2 and R3 being in series and same for R4 and R5? Thanks

nathsen said:
Hi, I understand how R2 ll R5 and R3 ll R4 but what is the reasoning for R2 and R3 being in series and same for R4 and R5? Thanks
Redraw the circuit in post #46, suppressing the voltage source (ignoring its small resistance) and placing identified parallel resistances next to each other:

upload_2016-4-27_21-32-35.png

Does that help?

Likes cnh1995
gneill said:
Redraw the circuit in post #46, suppressing the voltage source (ignoring its small resistance) and placing identified parallel resistances next to each other:

View attachment 99869

Does that help?
gneill said:

View attachment 99869

Does that help?
Thanks again for your reply. So, to identify two components are in parallel I can identify that two components share the same pair of nodes. What's the definitive method to determine a component is in series with another? How do I come to the conclusion that they are in series from your diagram? Or are they only considered to be in series once both pair of parallel resistors are added?

nathsen said:
Thanks again for your reply. So, to identify two components are in parallel I can identify that two components share the same pair of nodes. What's the definitive method to determine a component is in series with another? How do I come to the conclusion that they are in series from your diagram? Or are they only considered to be in series once both pair of parallel resistors are added?
It's the pairs of parallel resistors that are in series, not the resistors individually. The parallel pairs can both be simplified to single resistance values, and those resistors will be in series (share one node exclusively).

Likes nathsen