Finding Thevenin Equivalent Resistance: Circuit Analysis and Solution

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equivalent resistance at R in a given circuit. By simplifying the resistances on the right side of the circuit, the equivalent resistance is found to be 12 kΩ. Using the current and equivalent resistance, the voltage at Va is found to be -12 V. A discussion about polarity and calculating the open circuit voltage ensues, leading to the conclusion that the answer is 36 V.
garr6120

Homework Statement

given the circuit shown below find the the vanin equivalent at resistance R.

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 11.34.55 PM.png

Homework Equations

the resistances on the right side of the circuit can be simplified: 18 || (24+12) = 12 kΩ.

The voltage can be found from 2 mA * 12 kΩ = 24 V.

The voltage Va = 12-24 = -12 V

The Attempt at a Solution

When using multisim and the multimeter within the program it tells me the voltage of the open circuit is 36V.

Can anyone help me out?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 11.34.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 11.34.55 PM.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
garr6120 said:
The voltage can be found from 2 mA * 12 kΩ = 24 V.
With what polarity? Assume the bottom wire to be at 0V.

cnh1995 said:
With what polarity? Assume the bottom wire to be at 0V.

- V + with the - charge facing the 0V wire

garr6120 said:
- V + with the - charge facing the 0V wire
What is V?

What is the polarity of the bottom of the 12k resistance if the current through it goes from bottom to top?

cnh1995 said:
What is V?

What is the polarity of the bottom of the 12k resistance if the current through it goes from bottom to top?

+ to - from left to right.

garr6120 said:
+ to - from left to right.
I was talking about the equivalent resistance of the three resistors in the rightmost loop, which is 12k ohm. Draw this simplified circuit and find the polarity of the resistor terminal connected to the 0V point.

cnh1995 said:
I was talking about the equivalent resistance of the three resistors in the rightmost loop, which is 12k ohm. Draw this simplified circuit and find the polarity of the resistor terminal connected to the 0V point.

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 2.06.49 PM.png

garr6120 said:
The current source is of 2mA, and you need to find the open circuit voltage. You have instead short-circuited the resistance R.

cnh1995 said:
The current source is of 2mA, and you need to find the open circuit voltage. You have instead short-circuited the resistance R.

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 2.53.25 PM.png

garr6120 said:
The polarity of the resistor voltage is wrong. Conventional current flows from higher potential to lower potential.

cnh1995 said:
The polarity of the resistor voltage is wrong. Conventional current flows from higher potential to lower potential.

Even if it is i can correct it when I am done because its an arbitrary polarity. If i get negative for my answer I have to flip the polarity at the end so that if i recalculate my final answer the answer will be positive. So its just a prior guess right now.

but here it is.
Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 3.06.50 PM.png

garr6120 said:
but here it is.
195683-90ad819e6d3254762272b98b53f12a3e.png
That is correct. So now you can see why the answer is 36V.

cnh1995 said:
That is correct. So now you can see why the answer is 36V.

I thought the 12 V source wouldn't receive any current because of the open circuit.

Should I use KVL because when i make a loop at the open circuit i get:
-24V-2mA*12Ω=-12V

What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is a fundamental concept in electrical engineering that states that any linear electrical network can be replaced by a single voltage source and a single series resistor. This simplified representation is called the Thevenin equivalent circuit and is used to analyze and solve complex electrical circuits.

What is the purpose of using Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is used to simplify complex electrical circuits and make them easier to analyze. It allows engineers to quickly determine the voltage and current at various points in a circuit without having to solve complex equations.

How do you calculate the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

To calculate the Thevenin equivalent circuit, you need to follow these steps:1. Remove the load from the circuit.2. Calculate the open-circuit voltage (Voc) by using the voltage divider rule.3. Calculate the equivalent resistance (Req) by removing all the voltage sources and short-circuiting all the current sources in the circuit.4. Place the calculated Voc in series with the calculated Req. This is the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

What is the difference between Thevenin's theorem and Norton's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem and Norton's theorem are two equivalent circuit theorems that can be used to simplify complex electrical circuits. The main difference between them is that Thevenin's theorem uses a voltage source and a series resistor, while Norton's theorem uses a current source and a parallel resistor. Both theorems can be used interchangeably, and the choice between them depends on the type of analysis being performed.

Can Thevenin's theorem be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's theorem can only be used for linear circuits, where the current through and voltage across each element is directly proportional to each other. Non-linear circuits, such as those containing diodes or transistors, cannot be simplified using Thevenin's theorem. In these cases, other circuit analysis techniques must be used.