Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

They all want to see dead people

1. Sep 17, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1062673329756&call_pageid=968867505381&col=969048872038

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2003 #2

FZ+

I dunno, but wasn't the afterlife always mainstream? A stint in paradise was always one of the the primary reward mechanisms of any religion.

At least we are noticing nowadays, and can think somewhat clearly about it.

4. Sep 17, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It just migrated from churches to TV?

5. Sep 18, 2003 #4
    Seems as we go on we not only want to think about the afterlife, but attempt to communicate with people "already there". Mass Delusia is quite the grand thing. ;)

6. Sep 18, 2003 #5

FZ+

Yep. It pays more this way...

I think the idea of the afterlife began when man encountered death for the first time, and refused to accept it.

7. Sep 20, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think afterlife debunking began when man encountered ghosts for the first time, and refused to accept it.

Really though, even the Neanderthals would bury the dead adorned with flowers. Does this imply that the belief in an afterlife may even predate our species? Do we observe behavior like this in other animals?

8. Sep 20, 2003 #7
    No sentient creature can truly comprehend its own end. This is why we believe in an afterlife, ultimately.

9. Sep 20, 2003 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why do you think so? I have known many people who believe they will not exist after death. For a time I also believed this. I don't really find nothingness such a hard concept...heavenly compared hell you might say.

In fact, sitting here thinking about this, I have noticed that as many people grow old, they also tend to grow more accepting of death; independent of their religious views. Of course this is just a personal observation - small in numbers.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2003
  10. Sep 20, 2003 #9
    You know it intellectually...the same way you know intellectually that the sun may go nova. That doesn't mean that you can embrace the idea emotionally.

11. Sep 20, 2003 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please note the late edit to my last post.

How do we account for atheists who commit suicide? This seems show that at least some people can completely embrace the notion.

Are you afraid to die?

12. Sep 20, 2003 #11
    Suicide is a rather abnormal psychological position, isn't it? Not to divert the topic too far, but I think suicide is less a desire for death than a need for an ending...spliting hairs, maybe, but I think suicidal people don't want to die, they just want their pain to end.

And, of course, I have no fear of death. I'm lucky that way, in that I have almost completely conquered fear, by learning to let go of things I can't control. I'd prefer to live, but mostly out of the need to own this:

[​IMG]

13. Sep 20, 2003 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If kills me to think that the first Les Paul was made out of a railroad tie.

As far as suicide, I wonder what the rate of suicide is for atheists compared to believers. Also, I have at least heard it said that most people consider suicide at some point in their life. The thing that gets me about your position is that many who espouse this belief claim no fear of death. It seems that you are a living antithesis to your argument. Most people seem to accept nothingness pretty easily. I don’t the see the evidence for your position.

14. Sep 20, 2003 #13
    I would say that the position is supported by people's actions, not their words. Just think about teh amount of money spent on medicine...or better yet, think of terminally ill people who spend millions on quack remedies.

15. Sep 20, 2003 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a difference between a fear of death, a will to live, a love of life, and even the fight to live. Even when way beyond their point of tolerance, some people might fight a cancer only for their children's sake...just as an example.

Edit: As another example, there was no doubt in anyones mind that my grandmother stayed alive to see my wedding - I was her first grandchild. She had been battling lung cancer for a couple of years and she was hanging on by a thread. She died during our honeymoon.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2003
  16. Sep 20, 2003 #15

FZ+

Ivan: yep. There's statistical evidence for a dip in death rate during national holidays, and a rise afterwards, suggesting some sort of psychological effect in play.

17. Sep 20, 2003 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have also heard that the most likely time to die...I think of a heart attack... is 9AM, Monday morning.

[I am quite sure that this comes from a Deepak Chopra lecture]

18. Oct 2, 2003 #17
    i wonder if that psychological effect could be exploited to grant immortality.

sometimes we take placebo pills and they cure us.

i wonder how often a placebo pill would grant someone immortality. maybe 0.0000000000000001% of the time or less...

i'm wondering why a believer wouldn't just commit suicide and go to heaven. they say that that's a sin but they also say that jesus will forgive your sins. therefore, why not just do it and go to heaven now? why wait?

cheers,
    phoenix

19. Oct 3, 2003 #18

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Far beyond that, its one of the most fundamental questions in all of human existence. Far beyond "mainstream," its been a dominant force in human culture since humans diverged from apes.

In any case, the guy in the article is like John Edwards, he just takes a more direct and aggressive approach to his fraud.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?