Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

They despise you because they despise your Christ

1. Nov 15, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From Bob Jones - Dr. Bob Jones, III, the president of Bob Jones University - a man close to your President's heart.

"Dear Mr. President, in your re-election, God has graciously granted America--though she doesn't deserve it--a reprieve from the agenda of paganism. You have been given a mandate. ... Don't equivocate. Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ. ... If you have weaklings around you who do not share your biblical values, shed yourself of them."
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6485241/

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2004 #2
    This Liberal has no problem with Jesus. Jesus seemed like a great guy, preaching about forgiveness and acceptance, sacrificing to help those less fortunate than him. I don't know how Jesusy excluding everyone who doesn't share your exact interpretation of the bible is though, but then again, I'm not Jesus.

4. Nov 15, 2004 #3
    I just dont approve of the neoconservatives shoving their religion down everyone's throats. But then again, im more of a secularist, favoring seperation of religion from the governmental establishment so that no one religion is favored.

5. Nov 15, 2004 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I wonder if the president is going to respond to this. He has repeatedly said that atheists are Americans too, and that he is their president as much as the Christians' president.

6. Nov 15, 2004 #5
    You know, if you listen to Sean Hannity's and Rush Limbaugh's radio shows, the word "secularist" is actually used as an insult.

7. Nov 15, 2004 #6
    Given the recent political attack ads, I wouldn't be suprised.

All of this is getting me thinking... can this be the start of a Third Great Awakening? The First and Second Great Awakenings added quite a bit of religious fervor into American society, im wondering if this might be another resurgence, especially with the Christian Coalition dominating the political scene.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  8. Nov 15, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think we all know how little his words mean. He also said he would reach out to all people. Boy, I really see him reaching! :rofl: Like Carville said in that interview, that reach will be to slap us upside the head.

9. Nov 15, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes, it is not just about being a Christian, it is about being the right kind of Christian. It has been described by one Christian leader [The CNN documentary posted earlier] as religious McCarthyism.

10. Nov 15, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He did ?

I only recall him saying that (and I quote from his News conference on Nov 4) "I'll reach out to everyone who shares our goals".

11. Nov 15, 2004 #10
    I'm generally an agnostic, but I'm of the impression that if Jesus were alive today, he'd grow his hair long, smoke some dope, pick up a sign and march in front of the White House. Maybe go down to the market after and knock over a few tables.

(This is definitely not intended to offend anyone, so if I have offended, I apologize now before I get lynched.)

12. Nov 16, 2004 #11
    Would Jesus have the newest, sleekest 4 wheel drive SUV with independant steering, sun roof, drop down plasma TV screen, CD and DVD player, onstar navigation system with and SuperSized cup holders for those familly outings that gets 20 miles to the gallon?

Duh!

13. Nov 17, 2004 #12

Janitor

Science Advisor

WWJD? I think he'd fly around with RFK Jr. in that bizjet and preach environmentalism and energy conservation.

14. Nov 18, 2004 #13
    YOU'RE GETING 20MPG IN THAT SUCKER?!?!?!?!

Jesus would be all over that.

15. Nov 18, 2004 #14
    Which is why I'm hiding it in the used car lot down the street.

16. Nov 18, 2004 #15

Now to take my trusty lock pick and ignition starter. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?