Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

They detected dark matter?

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    According to an article that I read, an article came out today announcing that scientists had detected dark matter or at least a WIMP. How did they detect these particles? Did they do it the same way they detect neutrinos? If so, how do they know what they detected wasn't a neutrino?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

sylas

Science Advisor

I checked this out... Apparently there has been a rumour going around that a dark matter particle was detected by the Cryogenic Dark Matter Search; but there are also denials of the rumour. See The dark-matter rumour mill at physicsworld.com, which presents the skeptical view.

As for how it is detected; the CDMS page has some background that may help.

Cheers -- sylas

4. Dec 13, 2009 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As far as I know, there was a rumor, which was denied, that they detected dark matter and will announce on December 18th. So I am going to hold off speculation until then...

5. Dec 13, 2009 #4
    You may start a poll to guess whether the results will be positive...

6. Dec 13, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

If you don't say what article you read, it will be difficult to discuss it in any detail.

7. Dec 13, 2009 #6
    The December 18th announcement date is inaccurate. Two talks at Fermilab and SLAC are scheduled for December 17th (2 P.M. Pacific / 4 P.M. Central) and the manuscript is expected to appear on arXiv earlier than that.

8. Dec 13, 2009 #7
    I read that they were supposed to publish an article about it on the 12th in nature, so I googled it yesterday, and I found an article that said they had actually discovered it; however, I can't find it now... I'm not sure if I read it incorrectly or if it was just B.S. Either way, sorry for the incorrect information.

9. Dec 17, 2009 #8

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a blog with a link to a 2-page statement by the Minnesota group: http://physicsworld.com/blog/

Here is a UMN university news article: http://www1.umn.edu/news/features/2009/UR_CONTENT_164628.html

They saw two particles, with an expected background of 0.5 particles. They don't claim to have detected WIMPs, but they do claim to have improved the constraints on masses and strength of interaction. They plan to improve the setup by adding more detectors in order to increase efficiency.

10. Dec 18, 2009 #9

eep

Basically, the two events aren't statistically significant enough to claim a WIMP signal with the expected background, but they can't be ruled out either. All that they can really say is that there's a 23% chance the two events were due to background. So perhaps it is the beginning of a signal. They linked to the archive paper and gave a statement on their site at cdms.berkeley.edu

11. Dec 18, 2009 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

The intent of the experimenters was to make a "box" with an expected background of 0.5 particles, study everything they could without opening the box, and when satisfied that everything was understood, open it and see how many events they had. As you know, they saw 2.

However, after all this study, they managed to conclude that the expected number of background events in the box was a shade above 0.8. That's why the 2 events is much less convincing than you might think at first.

12. Dec 18, 2009 #11

Haelfix

Science Advisor

It was a little dissappointing. One of the hits is very shady, and outside of their band.

Most of us were hoping for 3 or 4 hits.

13. Dec 18, 2009 #12

eep

Both hits are inside their bands...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook