Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

They think that you think that you think that

1. Aug 3, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you ever run into people who just bad-mouth you because they-think-that-you-think, that-you-think-you're-better-than-them?

If you're just having some water mellon and someone complains there are these weird dots in it, you say that's because it's a pitless water mellon and that person gets bent out of shape, saying you should shut up if you don't know what you're talking about :confused:

I hate people like that.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2004 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some folks are awfully insecure, I guess. That's too bad. They miss out on getting to know and be friends with some very fun and interesting people like you, Monique. Smart people scare them.

4. Aug 3, 2004 #3
    Lucky for me I don't have that problem. Nobody I know thinks that I am better than them. Sounds like that person is just a little bit insecure.

5. Aug 3, 2004 #4

JD

For such people just having issues is a distant dream.

6. Aug 3, 2004 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's always traumatic to lose your paradigms (twice as traumatic as losing your paranickels).

I still remember that girl asking me and my buddy why you couldn't buy those little cell phone size satellite phones in the US and both of us looking :confused: "What the heck's she talking about?" and trying to explain to her that there were no little satellite phones, especially ones that used geosynchronous satellites as she was claiming. "The big antenna has to go on the ground, see, cause it's heavy. And a really small little antenna has to go on the satellite, because it's really expensive to launch heavy things."

Finally had to go look this phone and this Thuraya satellite she was talking about up on the internet so I could point out how she'd misread the info. And those websites never put the technical info you want right where you need it. I probably scrolled across that picture seven or eight times before I started thinking "That has got to be the smallest little satellite body I've ever seen, or else THAT'S ONE HELLUVA BIG ANTENNA FOR A SATELLITE!"

Lightweight, unfurlable antennas for satellites. What are those darn Arab countries going to do next? (Talk about breaking paradigms!)

Personally, I still like that big 85 foot antenna dish they used to have up in Alaska. The one that was so old when I got there that pieces used to fly off it when you slewed it around too fast. Now, that was a macho antenna!

7. Aug 3, 2004 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've discovered over the years that the majority of people absolutely hate being told they're wrong, even when they clearly are. They will resent you for correcting them, or even just contradicting them. I used to really not understand this sort of behavior, because I *love* learning new things, and generally appreciate being corrected when I'm wrong. When I was young I just figured everyone was like me, and found out the hard way that they aren't. Sometimes it's better to just nod your head and let them believe whatever they want.

- Warren

8. Aug 3, 2004 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't worry Monique, we still love you. And your licorice.

- Warren

9. Aug 3, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even when giving an answer to the problem they are pondering over? :uhh:

You know, I come from a family that believed educated people are stuck up so it's like walking up the stairs while keeping your head low. I rather keep reticent than to come off arrogant, a bad habit.

You're right. But academic people automatically get labeled arrogant (I think less in the US). I've seen people who are so, they like nothing else than to prove their superiority. I think it's sad when people are not tolerant, in either direction :cry:

10. Aug 3, 2004 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't that a contradiction? :devil: NOONE likes licorice.. unless you've been exposed to it during childhood :rolleyes:

Oh, I still love you guys too, here I'm anything but reticent :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  11. Aug 3, 2004 #10
    In Quebec, we have the highest post-secondary education rate per capita than anywhere else in North America, so we don't have this image of, "academic people are stuck up." Lucky us!

Personal experience?

It could be that they're just having a bad day.

Maybe you said it while rolling your eyes or in a demeaning manner?

:uhh: :rolleyes:

12. Aug 3, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends on the crowd, but in most crowds I keep pretty quiet these days. One reason that I enjoy PF so much is that statements can be challenged and discussed. I have learned that even Newtonian physics can get you into trouble in the real world.

A local farmer once commented that an object thrown from a car will change direction by 180 degrees after the bounce. I tried to explain that this change in direction is only relative to the person in the car. To a person standing on the side of the road, the object only slows down after the bounce - the direction of motion is still the same as the car. Apparently this was extremely upsetting to him. He called me about every name in the book while trying to prove that I was an idiot and that I must be wrong. Sometimes something this simple can actually scare someone. Most people don't like their percieved realities challenged.

Okay...got it...no Newton. I guess that rules out the Many Worlds Theory discussions as well. :biggrin: We're not in LA anymore Toto.

I think some people are [more] fact driven; as opposed to belief driven individuals - people who believe what they want to believe and who are not interested in learing the facts, especially if the facts contradict their beliefs. On the flip side of things, I had one guy tell me that I sounded like robot. He thought that all of the science, math, and logic had driven out my humanity. His point was that it is more important to be human than to know the right answers. He felt the price of my education [really twenty years of interest and study plus the degree] was too high; my point of view too sterile.

13. Aug 3, 2004 #12
    I was deeply exposed to several forms of licorice during my childhood, and I still don't like it.

By the way, 'no one' is two words. Otherwise it's 'noon' with an e, which isn't a word at all. Do you like to be corrected as much as chroot? (No offense meant; I'm something of a grammar buff.)

14. Aug 3, 2004 #13

entertaining this kind of people is just a waste of time and energy. sometimes it is better if we don't take so seriously what others say. it does me no good but makes them happy.

15. Aug 3, 2004 #14

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Speaking of licorice, we have someone who brings in a steady supply at work. :biggrin: I didn't know they sold them in 5 pound tubs!

16. Aug 3, 2004 #15

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any Australians here? Ever tried vegemite? If you need to start young to like liquorice ...

17. Aug 3, 2004 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Five pound tubs of licorice?? :yuck:

Someone wanting to rob me doesn't have to point a gun at me, all they have to do is point a piece of licorice at me and say "give me your money or I'll make you eat this" and I will give them everything I have. :wink:

18. Aug 4, 2004 #17
    At another forum (the one I linked to at Moore's Minister of Deception), people are extremely angered at me right now.

It's a forum full of Michael Moore supporters. They believe that everything in Farhenheit 9-11 was true. They believe everything Moore says is true, and everyone who thinks different is a Bush supporter.

I posted a reply linking to sites refuting this, and they all started calling me a "Bush supporter" and basically, implied I was a Nazi. Then basically said that all the people that don't believe Moore and blind Bush supporters. I linked to the PF Moore thread because interesting facts were posted. They simply compared them to the modern day supporter of Hitler.

All of this, just because I pointed out that Moore was a liar.

I wouldn't have said anything, but someone said, "Everything Moore says is the truth and it is documented"! I couldn't help myself, but I didn't think they'd be that pissed off.

I think they banned me for it.

Cheez, most people already realize that Michael Moore's a liar. Was it that offensive to let them know?

I've seen a lot of people use the word, "noone", though I've never used it myself.

I noticed the use of that word on Forums but my spell-checker always corrected it.

I basically assumed it was something used and accepted on the internet like "teh".

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  19. Aug 6, 2004 #18

Vitameatavegamin?

20. Aug 6, 2004 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never had vegemite, but I was tricked into trying marmite :yuck: I was in a lab meeting and my mentor at the time brought it back from a trip for us to try (he was fond of bringing back "treats" from his travels that most of us found dubious). I took one bite of a cracker I had spread it on and had to walk out for a drink of water...there was no hope of trying to politely swallow.

As for licorice, that's what they flavor medicine with so you know it's medicine and not candy, right? :biggrin: Anyone who likes licorice is more than welcome to my share. When I was a kid, most medicine for children was flavored with licorice, and I never understood why we used to get told not to confuse it with candy...it was vile, certainly nothing to be confused with candy.

As for those ignorant people who wish to stay that way, the best thing to do is grin and bear it and try to avoid them when possible. It's really hard to resist correcting them, but sometimes it's just for the best to just hold your tongue and get it over with as quickly as possible rather than trying to argue and taking forever to come to the same conclusion, that they aren't going to listen to anything you have to say anyway.

21. Aug 6, 2004 #20

hhmmmm....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?