Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thick-Skinned Gravastars Vie to Replace Black Holes, in Theory

1. Jan 7, 2004 #1

I pose this question: could our "big bang" theory (as we know it now) describe what could really be happening inside a black hole (err "gravastar")

Think about this: the expansion of the universe (as we see it right now) is simply due to more and more matter falling into the "gravastar" in which our universe lies!

When a black hole forms -- does it expand really quickly at first (like the big bang), then slows, etc. In other words, could the sequence of events in the big bang (and onwards to the present time) mirror the events that happen with a black hole/gravastar?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

Probably not. The site you posted states:

"In 1995, researchers cooled matter to near absolute zero and created a new form of matter called a Bose-Einstein condensate, in which the motion of electrons, protons, and everything else comes to a complete halt. Everything reaches a single state, called a quantum state, creating what's been called a "super atom."

The matter inside a gravastar would be akin to the Bose-Einstein condensate. It would exist in a vacuum, surrounded by an ultra-thin, ultra-cold, ultra-dark bubble, hence the name gra (vitational) va (cuum) star, or gravastar

Those conditions don't seem to fit the conditions we observe in our universe.
  4. Jan 7, 2004 #3
    I believe the article states that the boundary is the phase of matter that represents the bose-einstein condensate.

However regardless, there are still numerous problems with the universe being inside a gravastar. I would suspect matter would need to be flying apart far faster than it is if it was being pushed to the ultra thin bubble.
  5. Jun 1, 2009 #4
    I assumed they meant the universe was a four dimensional gravastar with three dimensional space being the thin shell.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?