1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thick wall or thin wall ?

1. Mar 11, 2005 #1
    Cells with thick wall can support the whole organisms. Then what is the function of thin wall?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2005 #2
    I don't remember much of my biology, but I thought it had something to do with acting as a protective barrier within the thick wall of the cell, protecting different parts like the nucleus.

4. Mar 11, 2005 #3
    Well, of course not all cells function to support the organism. Technically only plant cells have cell walls, but cells in the bones of a mammal secrete material that forms an extra cellular matrix making up the bone. Cells in your stomach that are supposed to take up nutrients from digested food should not have a thick layer around them as that would hinder intake of nutrients. Same for certain cells in the roots of a tree. As an other example, cells in the leaves of a plant have to be able to take in oxygen and release carbondioxide so they cannot have a thick cell wall, also sunlight must be able to reach the chlorofyl within the cells so they cannot have a wall that blocks sunlight.

I guess you can come up with many, many more examples yourself.

5. Mar 12, 2005 #4
    Interesting, you learn something new everyday.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?