Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thick wall or thin wall ?

1. Mar 11, 2005 #1
    Cells with thick wall can support the whole organisms. Then what is the function of thin wall?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2005 #2
    I don't remember much of my biology, but I thought it had something to do with acting as a protective barrier within the thick wall of the cell, protecting different parts like the nucleus.

4. Mar 11, 2005 #3
    Well, of course not all cells function to support the organism. Technically only plant cells have cell walls, but cells in the bones of a mammal secrete material that forms an extra cellular matrix making up the bone. Cells in your stomach that are supposed to take up nutrients from digested food should not have a thick layer around them as that would hinder intake of nutrients. Same for certain cells in the roots of a tree. As an other example, cells in the leaves of a plant have to be able to take in oxygen and release carbondioxide so they cannot have a thick cell wall, also sunlight must be able to reach the chlorofyl within the cells so they cannot have a wall that blocks sunlight.

I guess you can come up with many, many more examples yourself.

5. Mar 12, 2005 #4
    Interesting, you learn something new everyday.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?