Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thickness of a thin film-xrd

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    will thickness of a thin film affect the result of xrd? if too thin, will not get the best result?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, think about it. If it is too thin, then you'll get signal from the substrate as well! If you only intend to study the thin film, do you think getting other signals that is NOT from the object of your study is beneficial or helpful?

Zz.

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    What if the film is suspended and there's no substrate anywhere close to the film>? I know it's been done on MEMS structures, at least.

I'd say it depends on how you set up the experiment, you might have to analize a thin film if necessary...

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4
    Thickness does seem to effect XRD to some extent. I've been looking at zinc oxide for about 3 years, and there is some correlation between thickness and some of the peak ratios. I wouldn't worry if your just trying to id though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook