1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin Film Diffraction problem

1. Aug 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A broad beam of light, of wavelength 683nm is sent directly down through the top plate of a pair of glass plates. The plates are 120mm long, touch at the left end and are separated by a wire of a diameter .048mm at the right end. Air between the plates act as a thin film. How many bright fringes will be seen by an observer looking down through the top plate?

2. Relevant equations

Perhaps Snell's Law
    Perhaps a calculation for the optical path difference.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am really just not sure where to start with this. I have been plagued by these types of optics questions for a while. I think I basically have to calculate the Optical path difference and that will account for either constructive or destructive interference of the light, with an appropriate wavelength multiple added on to it.

I am not sure why there would be a limit on the number bright fringes seen by the observer looking down at the plates. I guess that is due to the finite size of the plate.

Is it just,
    $$2n_{\text{air}}d=m\lambda$$
    and solve for m? If so, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2013 #2
    I think I need to do an integration summing up the m's for all the values of d. Because the plates go from 0mm separation to .048 mm separation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted