1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin Film interference

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    A thin film is put on the surface of glass, with indexes of refraction of x and y respectively.

If light, with wavelength L in air, is reflected from the 2 sides of the film, to interfere constructively, what is the minimum thickness required.

The question is stated just like that, so I think it is vague in some parts.

I can't think of a formula to work this out. I know for con. interference, 2t=mL, where m is a whole number. But this isn't enough, and doesn't relate the indexes of r.

Any hints????
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2
    Shouldn't be doing your Homework 3 and half hours before its due.. tut tut:tongue2:
  4. Nov 26, 2007 #3
    Haha. I'd usually do it on Saturday, but with a boozin session going down, it didnt get done.

Besides, I'm a member here ages, so the guys can be great help when needed.

So did you get this one???? Hey I helped you with the polarizer one :approve:
  5. Nov 26, 2007 #4
    Sure i got it......................

Nah i think i'm retarded, on 40%..

Still can't get the polarizer one or this one or the last one lol
  6. Nov 26, 2007 #5
    Ah....there would have been a nice a pav pint in it for ya.

Hey, what's your name? Don't tell me your TP.....:rolleyes:
  7. Nov 26, 2007 #6
    Im taking a break, think "Fringes from Different Interfering Wavelengths" may be answerable! If i hit 60 i'll be proud! lol ;)
  8. Nov 26, 2007 #7
    I don't think I'll hit 60 this time....

Damn weekends....;)
  9. Nov 26, 2007 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Assuming x < y, the phase change on reflection is the same for both reflections so all that matters is the phase difference due to traveling through the film. That equation (2t = mL) will work, but L must be the wavelength in the film. That's where the index of refraction comes in.

If x > y, things will be a bit different. Learn more here: Thin Films
  10. Nov 26, 2007 #9
    Yes, x > y.

I understand it when x < y.

Then 2t=L, where L is wavelength in the film. So L would be index of refraction in film times wavelength in air.

But x > y.....
  11. Nov 26, 2007 #10

Doc Al

Not exactly. Is the wavelength shorter or longer in the film?

In that case the second reflection undergoes a different phase shift than the first (actually no phase shift). See that link for details.
  12. Nov 26, 2007 #11
    Sorry, divided by.....

So does that mean 2t=L?? Or t=L?
  13. Nov 26, 2007 #12

Doc Al

When x > y, the condition for constructive interference (and minimum thickness) is 2t = L/2 (where L = wavelength in the film).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?