1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin-Film Interference

1. May 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A soap film with different thicknesses at different placers has an unknown refractive index n and air on both sides. In reflected light it looks multicolored. One region looks yellow because destructive interference has removed blue (([tex]\lambda_{vacuum}[/tex]=469nm)) from the reflected light, while anotyher loks magenta because destructive interference has removed green (([tex]\lambda_{vacuum}[/tex]=555nm)). In these regions the film has the minimum thickness t required for the destructive interference to occur. Find the ration t[tex]_{magenta}[/tex]/t[tex]_{yellow}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\lambda_{film}[/tex] = [tex]\lambda_{vacuum}[/tex]/ n

3. The attempt at a solution

i know from the problem that m =1 because it says minimum thickness. But after that I do not know how I should set up the problem using algebra or physics.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted