Calculating Minimum Thickness of a Thin Film Using Interference Patterns

In summary, the researcher measures the thickness of a layer of benzene floating on water by shining monochromatic light and finds that light of wavelength 565nm is reflected most strongly. Using the equation 2t = mλ, where t is the thickness of the film, λ is the wavelength, and m is the order of the reflection, the researcher calculates the minimum thickness of the film to be 9.42*10^-8m. This was done by first calculating the wavelength of light through the film using the equation λfilm = λ / n(benzene), where n(benzene) is the refractive index of benzene.
LippyKa16

Homework Statement

A researcher measures the thickness of a layer of benzene (n = 1.50) floating on water by shining monochromatic light onto the film and varying the wavelength of the light. She finds that light of wavelength 565nm is reflected most strongly from the film. What does she calculate for the minimum thickness of the film?

Values:
λ = 565*10^-9m
n(benzene) = 1.50
n(water) = 1.33

Homework Equations

I have tried both of these equations:
2t = mλ
2t = ½mλ

The Attempt at a Solution

Subbing in the values needed, I get
t = (1 * 565*10^-9) / 2
= 2.825*10^-7m
or
t = (½ * 1 * 565*10^-9) / 2
= 1.4125*10^-7m

Physics news on Phys.org
LippyKa16 said:

Homework Statement

A researcher measures the thickness of a layer of benzene (n = 1.50) floating on water by shining monochromatic light onto the film and varying the wavelength of the light. She finds that light of wavelength 565nm is reflected most strongly from the film. What does she calculate for the minimum thickness of the film?

Values:
λ = 565*10^-9m
n(benzene) = 1.50
n(water) = 1.33

Homework Equations

I have tried both of these equations:
2t = mλ
2t = ½mλ
These are not the relevant equations. Do you think the refractive indices do not count?

I wasn't too sure.
Would that mean I would have to calculate the relevant wavelength through the film?
Would that mean:
λfilm = λ / n(benzene) (λ = 565 and n(benzene) = 1.5)
λfilm = 3.77*10^-7

*EDIT* I realize the mistake I made, and I did need to calculate λfilm.
The answer I got was 9.42*10^-8 and that was correct.

Last edited:
How did you get the correct answer? Please do show the working out. I am lost in this question. Thank you heaps

Nevermind, i have figured out the answer.

Can you please demonstrae your working for Q9,10,11 if you remember or its available thanx

What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves interact with a thin layer of material, causing some wavelengths to cancel out and others to reinforce, resulting in a visible pattern of light and dark regions.

What factors influence thin film interference?

The thickness of the film, the refractive index of the film and the surrounding medium, and the angle of incidence of the light are all factors that influence thin film interference.

What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference in thin films?

Constructive interference occurs when the light waves that are reflected from the upper and lower surfaces of the film reinforce each other, resulting in a brighter region. Destructive interference occurs when the light waves cancel each other out, resulting in a darker region.

How is thin film interference used in practical applications?

Thin film interference is used in various applications such as anti-reflective coatings on glasses and camera lenses, in optical filters, and in the production of holograms and other optical devices.

What is the difference between thin film interference and Newton's rings?

Thin film interference occurs when light interacts with a thin layer of material, while Newton's rings occur when light is reflected from a curved surface, creating concentric rings of light and dark regions.