Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin Film Laboratory resources

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    Friends,seeking some doctoral Researchers in the sub-domain of thin-films,I would want
    the following assistance from any of them: (1)A Standard Reference Book that addresses
    introductory (Post Grad.) and advanced (PhD) topics in thin Films.(2) Some standard Lab
    projects that has been conceptualized in Thin films for UnderGrad's & PostGrad's (4) a
    Comprehensive list of Equipments/Instruments and pertinent accessories/ resources towards
    setting up a modern thin-films laboratory.(5) Leading Academic and Corporate labs on
    thin-films who are lead with cutting edge thought leadership in this area (6) Possible
    manufacturing suppliers of the laboratory instrumentation and pertinent inter-disciplinary
    apparatus in the context of (2) aforesaid. (7) Advise from practitioners who have already
    set-up such Thin-film labs for research/small production environs.[I understand that this is
    an exhaustive resource request,however,respondents may limit themselves to their domain
    of expertise]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I can't answer all of your questions, but I'd suggest that even within the 'sub-field' of thin film technologies, that there is no 'standard lab setup with standardized equipment'--this ranges from multimillion dollar controlled clean rooms doing everything from CVD (Chemical Vapour Deposition) and ALD (Atomic Layer Deposition) to a fumehood and some beakers doing electrodeposition or Self-Assembled Monolayers.

The textbook I used in my graduate intro vacuum science course was by Milton Ohring Materials Science of Thin Films, Second Edition. Good, broad overview of many of the concepts encountered in thin films.

You may need to learn to walk a little before running!

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    Thanks !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook