1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin-Film Optical Coatings

1. Apr 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A jewelry maker has asked your glass studio to produce a sheet of dichroic glass that will appear red (wavelength=692 nm) for transmitted light and blue (wavelength=519 nm) for reflected light. If you use a MgF2 coating (n=1.39), how thick should the coating be.

2. Relevant equations

for constructive interference: lambda = (2nd)/m
    for destructive interference: lambda = (2nd)/(m-.5)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Both constructive and destructive interference of the reflected waves are required here, at different wavelengths. I think we need to minimize the red for reflection and maximize the blue. I really don't know how to make sense of this problem. I'm sorry I don't have a better attempt. I will really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks so much!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2009 #2
    I'm having the same issue with this same problem. Just to rephrase the formulas,

Constructive Thickness = [tex]\lambda[/tex]m / 2*n
    Destructive Thickness = [tex]\lambda[/tex](m-.5) / 2*n

I figured the same; that we wanted to maximize blue reflection and minimize red. So far, I've tried solving for the value that makes the red destructive, and tried a few multiples of it (in other words, a few m values) in comparison to the blue construcive in hope I'd find an integer match (ie a 5/4 or something ratio so I can figure the m's), but no luck on that. I've only got one crack at it left, so I want to make sure I get it.

4. May 1, 2009 #3
    ok, i've been working at this one and i think it's way easier than i thought it was.

we know that the film is the same in both conditions so if we solve both the constructive and destructive formulas for "d" we can find a corresponding "m" value. whether you use the situation where blue is constructive and red is destructive or vice versa, you'll eventually get the same answer.

5. May 1, 2009 #4
    I see what you mean. Got it to work; I used m=2. Just takes a little guess-and-check.

Thanks

6. May 1, 2009 #5
    However, you have to take into account the phase change due to n=1.54. So in this case, the equation for blue max is t= [tex]\lambda[/tex](m+.5) / 2*n

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook