What is the Phase Difference Between Reflected Waves in a Thin Film of Water?

In summary, the question asks about the phase difference between two waves reflected from the top and bottom of a water film. The wavelength of the incident light is 526 nm and the thickness of the film is 1.0 µm, with a refractive index of 1.33. The formula for phase difference is (delta(r)/lambda)(2*pi), which takes into account the phase shift on reflection. After some calculations, the correct answer is 3.5 rad.
SL_1719

Homework Statement

Light of wavelength 526 nm is incident normally on a film of water 1.0 µm thick. The index of refraction of water is 1.33.
(c) What is the phase difference between the wave reflected from the top of the air-water interface and the one reflected from the bottom of the water-air interface in the region where the two reflected waves superpose?

Homework Equations

phase difference=(delta(r)/lambda)(2*pi)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I easily found the wavelength in the film for part a, which is 395.5 nm, and I easily found the number of wavelengths that are contained within the distance of the film, 2t, which was 5.06. The problem I am having is finding the phase difference. I tried doing (delta(r)/lambda)(2*pi)=(2t/lambda')(2*/pi)=(2.0µm/395.5 nm)(2*pi). I reduce to find the remaining fraction of wavelength, but no matter what combination I use, I can't get the right answer. And I can't derive a method off of the practice problems. Sample answer from a practice problem: Wavelength: 416; Film: 1.0 µm thick; Index of refraction: 1.33. Answer is 5.62 rad when I would get 2.45 rad, or some multiple of that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you consider the phase shift on reflection, where applicable?

Thank you, I completely forgot to factor that in. That was what I was missing and the answer was 3.5 rad.

1. What is thin film phase difference?

Thin film phase difference is the difference in phase between two light waves that have been reflected or transmitted through a thin film layer. It is caused by the varying thickness of the film, which affects the path length of the light waves.

2. How is thin film phase difference measured?

Thin film phase difference can be measured using a device called a spectrophotometer, which measures the intensity of light at different wavelengths. By analyzing the interference pattern of the reflected or transmitted light, the phase difference can be calculated.

3. What factors affect thin film phase difference?

The main factors that affect thin film phase difference are the thickness and refractive index of the film, as well as the wavelength of the incident light. The angle of incidence and polarization of the light can also have an impact.

4. Why is thin film phase difference important in science?

Thin film phase difference is important in science because it can be used to study the optical properties of materials. It is also a crucial factor in the design and performance of many devices, such as anti-reflective coatings, optical filters, and thin film solar cells.

5. How does thin film phase difference affect the color of objects?

Thin film phase difference can cause certain colors to be reflected or transmitted while others are canceled out. This is known as thin-film interference and is responsible for the vibrant colors seen in oil slicks, soap bubbles, and certain butterfly wings.