Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin Film problem

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1
    A camera lens (n = 1.80) is coated with a thin film of magnesium fluoride (n = 1.45) of thickness 80.0 nm. What wavelength in the visible spectrum is most strongly transmitted through the film?

I have tried to solve this problem for quite a while now, and i hate to admit that there might be a small thing that i am missing. i have reached the following answers : 116 nm, 160 nm and 232 nm and all of them are wrong. I am using this formula: 2t= m*(lambda). I only have 2 tries left so please help me out. Also include a reason why you reached that answer. I have a final comming up and i would love to learn the propper way to do this. Thank you in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2008 #2

You want destructive interference for reflection at the first surface.
    I think this means lambda in the glass=t.
  4. Apr 27, 2008 #3

Thanks for your attempt, but I already figured out the correct way of doing it. The index of refraction of the MgF2 is the key to the answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?