Thin films interference hard problem

In summary, the two wavelengths of light that are most strongly reflected are closest to: 450 and 740 nm.
nabilsaleh

Homework Statement

A 360 nm thick oil film floats on the surface of the water. The indices of refraction of the oil and the water are 1.50 and 1.33, respectively. The surface of the oil is illuminated from above at normal incidence with white light. The two wavelengths of light in the 400 nm to 800 nm wavelength band that are most strongly reflected, in nm, are closest to:

A) 410 and 700
B) 430 and 720
C) 450 and 740
D) 470 and 760
E) 490 and 780

this question came several times on previous exams but i just can't figure out how to solve it and there is no solution online...the answer though is B!

Homework Equations

i'm guessing that i should be using this formula:

2L=((m+1/2)*lamda)/n

lamda is the wavelength
n is the index or refraction

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula is all right, just use it. Find the wavelength. You know the layer thickness, the refractive index of oil, and that m is positive integer. Start with m=1.

ehild

ehild said:
The formula is all right, just use it. Find the wavelength. You know the layer thickness, the refractive index of oil, and that m is positive integer. Start with m=1.

ehild

but I have water AND oil ,, I've never done a problem like this ... it's confusing which index to use and when to use it.

ehild said:

ehild

i'm substituting the numbers into the equation but I'm getting results that has nothing to do with the given range :( PLEASE HELP! at least show me how to get one of the wavelengths!

One part of the light wave reflects from the upper surface of the oil, other part enters the oil film, reaches the interface with water, and reflects from there. The reflected wave travels through the oil film again, and steps out into air at the front surface. The phase of this wave changes by 4pi n L. It interferes with the directly reflected wave, which suffered a pi phase change upon reflection. The difference between the waves is only that one traveled in oil. You need to use the refractive index of oil and the thickness of the oil film L.

ehild.

1. What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off of the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film, causing constructive and destructive interference. This results in a pattern of light and dark fringes that can be observed when the film is viewed under certain conditions.

2. How does thin film interference occur?

Thin film interference occurs when light waves pass through a medium with varying refractive indices, such as two different layers of a thin film. When the waves reach the boundary between the two layers, some of the waves are reflected while others pass through. These reflected and transmitted waves interfere with each other, creating the interference pattern.

3. What factors affect thin film interference?

The thickness of the film, the refractive indices of the two layers, and the angle of incidence of the light all affect thin film interference. The colors observed in the interference pattern are also dependent on the wavelength of the light used.

4. What is the hard problem of thin film interference?

The hard problem of thin film interference refers to the challenge of accurately predicting and controlling the interference pattern. This is due to the complex nature of the interference phenomenon and the many factors that can influence it.

5. What are some practical applications of thin film interference?

Thin film interference has many practical applications, such as in anti-reflective coatings, optical filters, and electronic displays. It is also used in the production of holograms and in the study of thin film properties in material science.