Find the Optimal Film Thickness for Yellow and Purple Light Reflection

In summary, to produce a sheet that appears yellow for transmitted light and purple for reflected light, the thickness of the sheet should be approximately 200 nm - 1/4 multiplied by the refractive index of MgF2 (1.39). This is based on the equations for reflected light and phase change due to reflection, with the assumption that the measured wavelength is in air and the light is normally incident on the film. The value of m, representing the number of phase shifts, can be any value.
CINA

Homework Statement

A client has asked you to produce a sheet of material that will appear yellow for transmitted light and purple for reflected light. You decide that "yellow light" is 600 nm and that "purple light" is 400 nm. If you use MgF2 (n2= 1.39), how think should the sheet be? (Assume the film is in air, the measured wavelength are in air, and the light is normally incident on the film.)

Homework Equations

reflected light:
delta(L)=2*t (distance the light travels in the film)
phase change due to reflection = pi
n18lambda1=n2*lambda2

The Attempt at a Solution

2*t=(1/2 + m)*lambda2. Lambda1 is 600 nm since that's the color we want to see in the air, so I can just plud that value into lambda 2. I'm solving for t but my question is, what is m? can it be any value? I'm assuming that what I have so far is actually right, if it is not, please tell me.

Physics news on Phys.org
2*t=(1/2 + m)*lambda2 2*t= (1/2 + m)*400 nm 2*t=200nm + 400nm*m 2*t-200nm = 400nm*m 2*t/400nm - 1/2 = mt/200nm - 1/4 = m So, the thickness of the sheet should be 200 nm - 1/4 multiplied by the refractive index of MgF2 (1.39).

1. What is the goal of finding the optimal film thickness for yellow and purple light reflection?

The goal is to determine the thickness of a film that will produce the highest amount of reflection for both yellow and purple light. This can be useful in various applications, such as creating efficient reflective coatings for lenses or mirrors.

2. How is the optimal film thickness for yellow and purple light reflection determined?

The optimal film thickness is determined by conducting experiments and analyzing the results. A range of film thicknesses will be tested and the amount of reflection for both yellow and purple light will be measured. The thickness that produces the highest reflection for both colors is considered the optimal thickness.

3. What factors can affect the optimal film thickness for yellow and purple light reflection?

Several factors can affect the optimal film thickness, including the type of material used for the film, the angle of incident light, and the wavelength of the light. These factors should be carefully controlled and considered in the experiment to ensure accurate results.

4. Why is it important to find the optimal film thickness for yellow and purple light reflection?

Finding the optimal film thickness can lead to more efficient and effective use of reflective materials, which can have various practical applications. It can also provide valuable insights into the behavior of light and how it interacts with different materials.

5. Can the same optimal film thickness be used for other colors of light?

No, the optimal film thickness for yellow and purple light reflection may not be the same for other colors of light. This is because different wavelengths of light behave differently when interacting with materials. Therefore, finding the optimal film thickness for other colors would require separate experiments and analysis.