Optics & Thin Glass in Liquid: Distance d & Image on Screen

In summary, the distance d between the lens and the screen will depend on the focal distance of the lens, the refractive indices of the media, and the shape of the lens. If the refractive indices of the media are different, the focal distance will also be affected, resulting in a change in the distance d. It is difficult to determine how the distance d will change in relation to the size of the object, as it will depend on the specific conditions of the lens and media.
Numeriprimi
I have one question about optics because I start interested in it.
If an object is placed a distance p from a thin glass lens (index of refraction n), we can see its image on a screen that is placed a distance d from the lens.
Do you know any formula which can describe this situacion? I found it in Czech internet, but I did not find some good.
However, the most important is this part. Light does not spread in the liquid as well as in the air. So if I take this system to liquid, something will change. We have different conditions...
The distance d isn't same if we want see image on a screen...
Will be larger or smaller? And why? How can I calculate it? Do you know any internet page on this topic, or video with the attempt?

Thanks very much and sorry for my English.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Numeriprimi,

I believe the equation you are looking for is

[itex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{d}[/itex]

where [itex]f[/itex] is the focal distance of the lens, and [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]d[/itex] are the object's distance from the lens and the image's distance from the lens, respectively.

As you could expect, [itex]f[/itex] will depend on the the refractive index of the medium, [itex]n_{m}[/itex], and on the refractive index of the glass (of which the lens is made of), [itex]n_{g}[/itex]. The equation that dictates this dependence is

[itex]\frac{1}{f} = ( \frac{n_{g}}{n_{m}} - 1 )( \frac{1}{R_{1}} + \frac{1}{R_{2}} )[/itex]

being [itex]R_{1}[/itex] and [itex]R_{2}[/itex] the radius of curvature of the two surfaces of the lens.

Let's now suppose that he have a lens with a certain shape, and so [itex]R_{1}[/itex] and [itex]R_{2}[/itex] are fixed. As you can see from the above expression, depending on the ratio between the refactive indices, [itex]\frac{n_{g}}{n_{m}}[/itex], the focal distance can be positive or negative, and this will ultimately determine the behavior of the lens as being convergent or divergent. This is why the same lens can have different properties when placed inside diferent media.

If you want to make some calculations on your own, be careful with the sign conventions! For example, for concave surfaces, the radius of curvature is negative; while for convex surfaces, the radius of curvature is positive. A quick guide to the sign convention of the other variables involved is: http://www.tutorvista.com/content/physics/physics-ii/light-refraction/convention-lenses.php

I hope this helps!Zag

Last edited:
Thanks very much :-)
Are there any other conditions that affect image on a screen? If the liquid is too thick, it can be?

Numeriprimi said:
Thanks very much :-)
Are there any other conditions that affect image on a screen? If the liquid is too thick, it can be?

You are welcome!

I am not sure if it would be possible to relate the viscosity of a fluid with its refractive index in a general way. I believe it will really depend on the material of which your fluid is made of since viscosity and refractive index seem to emerge from different phenomena. But I am not sure about that, so I will leave your question to be answered by someone who knows more than me about this topic! ;)Zag

And the last - What do you think - x will be bigger then d or smaller? And why?

1. What is the distance d in optics and thin glass in liquid?

The distance d refers to the distance between the thin glass and the liquid in an optical setup. It is an important parameter in determining the behavior of light passing through the liquid and glass interface.

2. How does the distance d affect the image on the screen?

The distance d has a significant impact on the image formed on the screen. As the distance increases, the image on the screen becomes larger and less focused. Conversely, a smaller distance d results in a smaller and more focused image.

3. What is the role of thin glass in optics and liquid?

Thin glass plays a crucial role in optics and liquid experiments. It acts as a barrier between the liquid and the surrounding environment, keeping the liquid contained and preventing any external factors from affecting the experiment. It also helps to shape the light passing through the liquid, resulting in a clearer and more defined image on the screen.

4. How does refractive index of the liquid affect distance d and image formation?

The refractive index of the liquid plays a key role in determining the distance d and image formation. The higher the refractive index of the liquid, the larger the distance d required for the image to form on the screen. This is because a higher refractive index means that light travels slower through the liquid, resulting in a longer path and a larger distance d. It also affects the shape and clarity of the image on the screen.

5. Can the distance d and image formation be affected by changes in temperature?

Yes, changes in temperature can affect the distance d and image formation in optics and thin glass in liquid experiments. This is because temperature can alter the refractive index of the liquid, causing changes in the behavior of light passing through it. It is important to control and monitor the temperature during these experiments to ensure accurate results.