Thin layer optical coatings

• Thread starter fredrick08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, the reflected waves interfere destructively at 473 nm, and the reflected waves interfere constructively at 406 nm,578 nm, and 710 nm. The colour of reflected light is blue, and the colour of transmitted light is not blue.
fredrick08
[SOLVED] thin layer optical coatings

Homework Statement

a sheet of glass is coated with a 500nm thick layer of oil (n=1.42)
a. for what visible wavelengths of light do the reflected waves interfere constructively?
b. for what visible wavelengths of light do the reflected waves interfere destructively?
c. what is the colour of reflected light? what is the colour of transmitted light?

The Attempt at a Solution

ok a. and b. were straight forward i got 473nm for a. and 406nm,578nm for b.
but how do i do c.? i can't find anything like it in my book, I am pretty sure that the answer to the question in the book is wrong it says (yellow-green)? if the reflected wave act constructively at 473nm which blueish, do that mean that the light reflected is blue, and the light transmitted is not blue?? but what about absorbed light? please some one help

Physics news on Phys.org
if anyone would like to know how i got my answers for a. and b. i used the formula
lambda(constructive)=2nd/m and lambda(destructive)=2nd/(m-0.5) where m is an integer

For C - assuming the incoming light is white the destrcutively interferred wavelengths will be removed and the remainder reflected, so you have white minus the answer from 'b'

ok so the light reflected is green and red?

or all colours except violet and yellow-green?

what about transmitted?

please anyone??

As you said, blue is reflected. Also, there is a reflected peak centered at 710 nm, so deep red wavelengths are reflected as well. The reflected light is stronger at red and blue wavelengths.

Transmitted light is stronger in violet and yellow-green, as you said.

ok well what about the transmitted light?? its not blue and red, so its yellow greenish?

omg srry i didnt see that... thankyou heaps, for some reason i got really confused bout this... srry bout that last once again

fredrick08 said:
omg srry i didnt see that...

It was an edit, added several minutes after my original response. :smile:

1. What are thin layer optical coatings?

Thin layer optical coatings are thin films of various materials that are applied to the surface of an object to enhance its optical properties. These coatings can manipulate the way light interacts with the surface and can improve its reflectivity, transmittance, or absorption.

2. What is the purpose of using thin layer optical coatings?

The main purpose of using thin layer optical coatings is to modify the optical properties of a surface. This can be done to enhance the performance of optical components, such as lenses or mirrors, or to create special optical effects, such as anti-reflective or anti-glare coatings.

3. How are thin layer optical coatings applied?

Thin layer optical coatings are typically applied through a vacuum deposition process, where the coating material is vaporized and deposited onto the surface of the object. Other methods such as sputtering or chemical vapor deposition may also be used.

4. What materials are commonly used for thin layer optical coatings?

Some of the most commonly used materials for thin layer optical coatings include metals (such as aluminum, silver, or gold), dielectric materials (such as silicon dioxide or titanium dioxide), and semiconductors (such as silicon or germanium). The specific material used depends on the desired optical properties of the coating.

5. What are the advantages of using thin layer optical coatings?

Thin layer optical coatings offer several advantages, such as improved optical performance, increased durability and scratch resistance, and the ability to create unique optical effects. They can also be applied to a wide range of materials, including glass, plastics, and metals, making them versatile for various applications.