1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin layer optical coatings

1. May 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] thin layer optical coatings

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a sheet of glass is coated with a 500nm thick layer of oil (n=1.42)
    a. for what visible wavelengths of light do the reflected waves interfere constructively?
    b. for what visible wavelengths of light do the reflected waves interfere destructively?
    c. what is the colour of reflected light? what is the colour of transmitted light?

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok a. and b. were straight forward i got 473nm for a. and 406nm,578nm for b.
    but how do i do c.??? i cant find anything like it in my book, im pretty sure that the answer to the question in the book is wrong it says (yellow-green)??? if the reflected wave act constructively at 473nm which blueish, do that mean that the light reflected is blue, and the light transmitted is not blue?? but what about absorbed light????? plz some one help

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2008 #2
    if anyone would like to know how i got my answers for a. and b. i used the formula
    lambda(constructive)=2nd/m and lambda(destructive)=2nd/(m-0.5) where m is an integer

4. May 28, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For C - assuming the incoming light is white the destrcutively interferred wavelengths will be removed and the remainder reflected, so you have white minus the answer from 'b'

5. May 28, 2008 #4
    ok so the light reflected is green and red???

6. May 28, 2008 #5
    or all colours except violet and yellow-green???

what about transmitted?

7. May 28, 2008 #6
    plz anyone??

8. May 28, 2008 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As you said, blue is reflected. Also, there is a reflected peak centered at 710 nm, so deep red wavelengths are reflected as well. The reflected light is stronger at red and blue wavelengths.

Transmitted light is stronger in violet and yellow-green, as you said.

9. May 28, 2008 #8
    ok well what about the transmitted light?? its not blue and red, so its yellow greenish???

10. May 28, 2008 #9
    omg srry i didnt see that..... thankyou heaps, for some reason i got really confused bout this... srry bout that last once again

11. May 28, 2008 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It was an edit, added several minutes after my original response. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?