1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin Lens

1. Apr 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object is located to the left of a thin lens. The image is upright, and the distance between the object and image is 20 cm. What are the focal length and object distance if the lens is 2 times the hieght of the object?

2. Relevant equations
    1/p + 1/q = 1/f

3. The attempt at a solution
    I actually know how to get the focal length and object distance, I'm just having a bit of difficulty with an initial step.

If the image and object are 20 cm apart. How do I determine what the relationship between them is? I know the image location (q) is negative and the object (p) is positive. According to my book, I should use 20 cm = -q - p. That isn't immediately obvious to me, I would have thought doing something like 20 = p - q or 20 = p + q... can anyone explain why it's -q - p for the distance differential?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted