1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin Lenses

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    I was reading a bit on thin lenses when a postulation was made that the image formed from the first surface would be the object for the second. The postulation made sense for when the first image is virtual, but I don't see how it works when the first image is real? Can anyone provide me the proper proof for this?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2
    ....o_o....

4. Nov 2, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With thin lenses you don't normally consider the two surfaces - you just have a single plane refractive effect.

5. Nov 2, 2008 #4
    what about cases with thick lenses?

6. Nov 3, 2008 #5
    ....o_o....

7. Nov 3, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can model a thick lens by tracing the ray accross the first surface through the body of the lens and accross the second surface. YOu might have to do this for very thick lenses or odd setups. You can model combinations of thick lenses in a similair way to thin lenses - you just have to have a slightly different definition of the lens's position - eg nodal points.

8. Nov 3, 2008 #7
    I see...makes more sense now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?