Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin plate deflection formula

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    Hi. I have been doing some FEA modelling with solid works and am trying to calculate my deflection for a point load at the centre of a clamped periphery (not simply supported) circular thin plate. I need to calculate the theoretical values to make sure that my FEA is correct

The formula I have found is this :

for r not = to 0

w= deflection
    W= load in N
    a= fixed max radius (m)
    r = variable radius (m)

D=flexual rigidity = Eh^3/(1-v^2)
    E=Young's modulus (Pa)
    h=plate thickness (m)
    v=poissons ratio

When I plug my relevent data into the formula I get stuck because i am using a point load at the centre....therefore my r=0...I cannot find the formula for when the load is at the centre. Can anyone please help?

I have been having no trouble doing this with a distruited load (pressure) but it's the point load that I have been having trouble with.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

You will get a problem using concentrated analytic loadings with erroneously high answers. Roark says in Chapter 11: Flat Plates, Section 1: Common Case:

So, the application of a concentrated loading physically is erroneous. You can try to apply the loading in your FEA as a concentrated surface loading over a finite area. Then use the formula given to get an equivalent radius, thereby which you can get the stresses and deflections.

For uniform loading over a very small central circular area of radius r0, those are Roark cases 16 and 17 depending on the boundary conditions. I can supply those if you would like. I think you have case 17 though (edges fixed rather than simply supported). In that case, the maximum deflection at r=0 is:

[tex] y_{max} = \frac{ -W a^2}{16 \pi D} [/tex]

[tex] W = q \pi r^2_0 [/tex]

q being the "pressure", and a being the radius of the flat plate.
  4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    thanks for that minger. That solves my problem. :)
  5. Sep 30, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

Glad I could help.
  6. Feb 20, 2010 #5

Where did you find that formula you first were trying? Could you give me a reference, as I am doing analysis on a microplate and am only finding things for calculating the nodal frequencies.

That could really be useful, although seems to only give the deflection for one state.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?