What are some of America's Greatest Contributions to the World?

• Thread starter revelator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, America's greatest contributions to the world include technological advancements such as the invention of the internet and the development of modern medicine, as well as cultural influences such as jazz music, Hollywood films, and fast food. Additionally, the United States has made significant contributions to world politics and economics, including the establishment of the United Nations and the spread of capitalism. The country has also played a major role in promoting democracy and human rights globally. Finally, America's scientific advancements, such as space exploration and the discovery of DNA, have had a profound impact on the world and continue to drive progress and innovation.
Ivan Seeking said:
The transistor was discovered at Bell Labs. How much more fundamental can you get?

Don't forget Unix

Physics news on Phys.org
Frooty Pebbles, Honeycombs, Super Sugar Crisps, Pop Rocks.

dduardo said:
Don't forget Unix

or Windows...

...well, never mind.

Hey, what about everything Edison invented? The telephone? Polio vaccine? Human Genome Project? A-Bomb - maybe better the Allies than the Axis?

Last edited:
Fiber Optics..Electric guitars.. bullet proof glass..artifical heart

Hey, what about everything Edison invented? The telephone? Polio vaccine? Human Genome Project? A-Bomb - maybe better the Allies than the Axis?

For that matter India has a list of people which can possibly change your thinking about US.US is not all that great , The base of human knowledge was devised by Indians and West built upon it by contributions from thousands of men.

When something is invented/discovered, the credit does not go to the country , the credit goes to the individual who raised himself from the levels of religion/patriotism/callowness and used his mind for the help of humankind in general.

BJ

Dr.Brain said:
For that matter India has a list of people which can possibly change your thinking about US.

Nope...

The base of human knowledge was devised by Indians and West built upon it by contributions from thousands of men.
I don't know...Couldn't we take it back a bit farther yet?

When something is invented/discovered, the credit does not go to the country , the credit goes to the individual who raised himself from the levels of religion/patriotism/callowness and used his mind for the help of humankind in general.

We don't live in a vacuum you know. The actions of one man have influences on another you know. You cannot attribute any invention to just one man. Why? No one could raise themselves from levels of religion/patriotism/callowness and use his mind without society there to support him or her.

Last edited:
I thought we were saying nice things about the US?

Hasn't the military produced a lot of technology that has found applications in other areas? Like that black makeup used in football. :biggrin:

honestrosewater said:
I thought we were saying nice things about the US?

Hasn't the military produced a lot of technology that has found applications in other areas? Like that black makeup used in football. :biggrin:

GPS...

Dr.Brain said:
For that matter India has a list of people which can possibly change your thinking about US.US is not all that great , The base of human knowledge was devised by Indians and West built upon it by contributions from thousands of men.

I was just thinking about that. The US hasn't contributed nearly as many 'inventions' to society as many western countries, however I think it's fair to say they're in the running for first with Innovations.

Smurf said:
I was just thinking about that. The US hasn't contributed nearly as many 'inventions' to society as many western countries,
In the last 300 years? The US is relatively young, to be fair.

Transistor. Integrated circuit. Microprocessor.

Townsend said:
Nope...

I don't know...Couldn't we take it back a bit farther yet?

We don't live in a vacuum you know. The actions of one man have influences on another you know. You cannot attribute any invention to just one man. Why? No one could raise themselves from levels of religion/patriotism/callowness and use his mind without society there to support him or her.

India gave birth to Mathematics way before US was even discovered dear. :wink:

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/Indian_mathematics.html

Dr.Brain said:

I know...I was talking about before then...like the Greeks perhaps...You know, Euclid and all..

Dr.Brain said:

But this thread is not about what India gave to the world. Seriously, you don't have to rain on our parade. You can start your own thread about how much better India is than the US. Not to be mean; It just seems like you're trying to pick a fight. :frown:

Last edited:
Grand Canyon is cool,

honestrosewater said:
But this thread is not about what India gave to the world. Seriously, you don't have to rain on our parade. You can start your own thread about how much better India is than the US. Not to be mean; It just seems like you're trying to pick a fight. :frown:

Even I am surprised to know that I am not trying to pick up a fight.Carry on with the thread friends.Any thread in praise of any part of Earth is encouraged.

BJ

Dr.Brain said:
Even I am surprised to know that I am not trying to pick up a fight.Carry on with the thread friends.Any thread in praise of any part of Earth is encouraged.

BJ
Heh, don't I feel like a royal jack***. :shy: Sorry. I don't suppose the peace sign started in the US? :biggrin:

-- the zucker brothers
-- the coen brothers
-- black holes (courtesy of john wheeler)
-- the moore method
-- 1970 ford boss 429 mustangs

What I value most about having grown up in the US, is that I generally felt that I had opportunities to get as much education as I wanted, and make whatever choices I wanted for myself and my future. I am sure this is the case in many countries, but I know that also in many countries it *isn't* the case, particularly for women.

And I think that I, and the community, both benefit from this opportunity.

The US gave us, US people, ok they may be a bit cranky at times, but they
are worthy of serious study. :biggrin:

-Soundgarden
-Pearl Jam

Woo, thanks guys.

Dr.Brain said:

Wow, really? That's funny, because I always thought the US was created, not discovered.

Dr.Brain said:

Well, we could reduce this all to the first hominid to draw a symbol in the dirt. So the credit for everything really goes to one hairy ape-guy with a stick. :rolleyes:

Ivan Seeking said:
Well, we could reduce this all to the first hominid to draw a symbol in the dirt. So the credit for everything really goes to one hairy ape-guy with a stick. :rolleyes:
Yes but where was he FROM!? That's what really matters

Smurf said:
Yes but where was he FROM!? That's what really matters

I think she was from Africa...

But I could be wrong.

Gondwana land and it was the first multi national.

wow it was hard for me to come up with something...

1. The Internet
2. Linux
3. Borland Delphi

Ok 'nuf computer stuff, let's see...

4. I don't know...

eNathan said:
wow it was hard for me to come up with something...

Ever drive a car?
Ever fly on an airplane?
Ever talk on the phone?
Ever listen to a record?
Ever use a light bulb?

Ever had a shot of penicillin or been vaccinated against small pox?

Not to mention many popular forms of Chinese food... :biggrin:

Here is just a sampling of American inventions that affect our everyday life that haven't already been mentioned.

Adhesive tape

electric light bulb

phonograph

microphone

telephone

lasers (Bell Labs)

cellular phones (Bell Labs)

lightning rod

bifocal glasses

frozen tv dinners :redface:

white out (correction fluid)

electrophotography(Xerox) (Duplicator that copies graphic matter by the action of light on an electrically charged photoconductive insulating surface in which the latent image is developed with a resinous powder), the process of instant copying.

typewriter - Christopher Sholes invented the typewriter in the year 1868. Along with Samuel W. Soule and Carlos Glidden, Sholes was granted a patent for the typewriter on June 23, 1868

Kevlar

coca cola

root beer

LED - light emitting diode

zippers

Oh thank god pepsi isn't a US invention...

Pengwuino said:
Oh thank god pepsi isn't a US invention...
Pepsi is also American.

Teflon is also.

sticky (post it) notes

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Ever had a shot of penicillin or been vaccinated against small pox?
Scottish and English, actually.