Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Things in the sky quiz

1. Jun 17, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

"Things in the sky" quiz

All right boys and girls, here's an easy quiz to get started. Let's sharpen up those pointy heads.

Please do not google the answers, these are easy enough and it's multiple choice. If I could get them right without googling, so can you.

Please answer in "invisible". , then end text with /color in [] I will post the answers later today. Anyone posting a link to answers will earn a suprise 24 hour vacation from PF.

1) When does a solar eclipse occur?

A- When Mercury passes between the sun and the Earth

B- When Venus passes between the sun and the Earth

C- When the moon passes between the sun and the Earth

2) During a total solar eclipse, how long on average is the sun totally darkened?

A- 25 seconds

B- 2.5 minutes

C- 25 minutes

3) What do scientists call meteors that reach Earth?

A- Asteroids

B- Comets

C- Meteorites

D- Penqwuinos

4) Where is the Meteor Crater, a hole about 4,180 feet (1,275 meters) across and 570 feet (175 meters) deep, located?

A- Arizona

B- Colorado

C- New Mexico

5) A total solar eclipse can be seen only in certain parts of the world and only areas that lie in the so-called path of totality can view a total eclipse. Approximately how wide is this path?

A- 170 miles

B- 1,700 miles

C- 17,000 miles

6) At what distance above Earth do most meteors become visible to the human eye?

A- 6 to 20 miles (10 to 32 kilometers)

B- 30 to 60 miles (50 to 95 kilometers)

C- 40 and 75 miles (65 and 120 kilometers)

7) What type of meteorite consists of minerals rich in silicon and oxygen?

A- Stony

B- Iron

C- Stony-iron

8) What scientist used observations from a total solar eclipse to support one of his most important theories?

A- Niels Bohr

B- Albert Einstein

C- Enrico Fermi

9) What do scientists call an eclipse where only the middle of the sun darkens, leaving a bright ring around the edges?

A- Annular

B- Partial

C- Total

10)According to scientists, the most brilliant meteor shower of known history took place in what year?

A- 4 B.C.

B - 1833

C- 1999

11) Ancient Chinese astronomers thought that solar eclipses were caused by what event?

A- The sun had circled to the dark side of the Earth

B- Jupiter or Mars had moved in front of the sun

C- A dragon in the sky tried to swallow the sun

12) What do scientists often call the brightest meteors? These meteors are as bright as Jupiter or Venus in the night sky.

A- Shooting stars

B- Falling stars

C- Fireballs

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

BeginTesting, is this invisible?
    b,b,c,c,a,c,a,b,a,b,c, (Holy sh*t! Lookie that! --- Use of the superlative requires much brighter than Venus or Jupiter --- and, scientists call them "bolides," not "fireballs.")
    End.

4. Jun 17, 2006 #3
    Without looking anything up, (but WITH using the quiz against itself)
    1 C
    2 B
    3 C
    4 A (not sure on that one)
    5 A (should actually vary by eclipse, since some are annular)
    6 A (just a guess, but probably much lower than most think)
    7 A
    8 B
    9 A
    10 A (beats me, but probably very old if question worth asking)
    11 C
    12 C (another guess, as it's slang, but they are usually careful to avoid referrign to them as "stars")

5. Jun 17, 2006 #4

Evo

Reminder, don't use the "quote" function on anyone's answers, as it will be viewable.

6. Jun 17, 2006 #5

2) During a total solar eclipse, how long on average is the sun totally darkened?
    B- 2.5 minutes
    C- Meteorites
    4) Where is the Meteor Crater, a hole about 4,180 feet (1,275 meters) across and 570 feet (175 meters) deep, located?
    A- Arizona
    5) A total solar eclipse can be seen only in certain parts of the world and only areas that lie in the so-called path of totality can view a total eclipse. Approximately how wide is this path?
    A- 170 miles
    6) At what distance above Earth do most meteors become visible to the human eye?
    A- Stony
    8) What scientist used observations from a total solar eclipse to support one of his most important theories?
    B- Albert Einstein
    9) What do scientists call an eclipse where only the middle of the sun darkens, leaving a bright ring around the edges?
    A- Annular
    10)According to scientists, the most brilliant meteor shower of known history took place in what year?
    A- 4 B.C.
    11) Ancient Chinese astronomers thought that solar eclipses were caused by what event?
    12) What do scientists often call the brightest meteors? These meteors are as bright as Jupiter or Venus in the night sky.
    C- Fireballs

Curiously, i'm not sure about the axact location of meteor's crater :blushing:

7. Jun 17, 2006 #6
    C, A, C, A, B, A, A, B, A, B, C, C

8. Jun 17, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All I know is that Meteor better get 3, 4, 6, 7 and 10 right - or at least do better than the majority on those. Heck, if there were a quiz about Gokul and I didn't do well, that would be pretty embarrassing!

9. Jun 17, 2006 #8
    He, he, the test is really tailored for me. Regrettably, I've just checked that at least one of my answers to one of the questions related to me is wrong

10. Jun 17, 2006 #9
    remember, use the tag :)
    C Moon
    A 25 seconds
    C Meteorites
    A The Arizona one?
    A 170 miles
    B 30-60 miles
    C Stony-Iron
    B Albert Einstein?
    A Annular
    A 4 B.C.
    C I think they didn't follow a geocentric model, they could probably tell the Moon was not Jupiter or Mars, so that leaves me with the dragon
    C fireballs

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  11. Jun 17, 2006 #10

JamesU

Gold Member

C, A, C, A, A, B, C, C, A, B, B, A

12. Jun 17, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Pengwuinos!

13. Jun 17, 2006 #12
    too ez_________

14. Jun 17, 2006 #13

Evo

Not as easy as you think, unless you look up the answers.

15. Jun 17, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I like that option. I think I'm going to answer it for all of them. :biggrin:

16. Jun 18, 2006 #15

Evo

Geeze, only a few people here felt confident enough to post answers? And those that did...did excellent.

I will give it another day. I didn't realize so many would be afraid to try. :confused:

17. Jun 18, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm waiting for you to compliment my culinary skills... then maybe ill ansewr your quiz!

18. Jun 18, 2006 #17

Evo

Ok, the answers for those that want to check.

1) C

2) B

3) C

4) A

5) A

6) C

7) A

8) B

9) A

10) B

11) C

12) C

19. Jun 19, 2006 #18

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Cool Quiz. How about submitting this to the quiz section? It needs some more I reckon.

20. Jun 19, 2006 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

B- 2.5 minutes (not sure about this one)

C- Meteorites

A- Arizona

A- 170 miles

uh,oh - now they start getting tough

A- Stony

B- Albert Einstein

C- Total

B - 1833 (A Leonids meteor storm caused by comet debris that hasn't yet dispursed out over the comet's entire orbit path)

C- Fireballs

A surprise vacation??!! Cool!! Where to?:cool: Somewhere warm, I hope.

21. Jun 19, 2006 #20

Evo

Uhm, actually to my back yard to help work. :redface:

Oh, so close! So far, no one has answered all correct (I actually missed two myself)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?